AuthorTopic: Portrait style dilemma [WIP]  (Read 13745 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait style dilemma [WIP]

Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 05:09:02 am
Looks much better then the first anime one! She looks pretty distraught though, and Helm's edit looks like she just spent 5 years in a concentration camp. I do not know her story, but if you are unintentionally making her look so concerned, maybe loosen the eyebrows a bit.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 05:17:13 am
Hey man...I have to ask...why does Iya look so utterly depressed? I mean really looks like she's bored her ass off and might be about to jump off a bridge...honestly the old unrealistic face fits the sprite much more because it keeps some of the same kind of...spunk. She seems pretty determined and IDK sort of agressive in the sprites but the portrait kinda go from sweet to utterly depressed...what's up?

Other than that, I'd try to use far less speculars on her dress...it looks like it's coated with plastic...

Mind if I am awfully honest here? I've seen you work on this for years and years and years...and I probably havent seen half of the time you've put into it...why dont you do something small that you can release? commit to a demo level (like legend of princess) by one date and release it!......hell I'd love something with the amount of details in that foxarcher dude, it looks like it'd belong in a smooth StarOceanBlueSphere!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:35:29 am by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 02:11:03 pm
The expression is in the eyebrow arch. If you want more determination, tilt them clockwise, really.

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:19 pm

Heres my take on it. I think she may look a bit older than twelve, but I think it reads better. Let me know what you think.

EDIT:

Slight update.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:51:09 pm by Joshua »

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:14 pm
Hey Joshua,
Sorry - this isn't quite the direction I was gonna go. She looks angry and a little man-ish in your edit. The slight tilt of her head (something I've been patting myself on the back for: ) is gone too.

She is a girl who is despite her dangerous situation unreasonably confident of her safety, yet still lonely and lost far away from home.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 09:01:35 pm
This is good.

But even though you don't like the style in Joshua's edit, you could still learn a thing or two about the execution. Look at the way he shaded the face, especially the highlights.

But, nice work.  The animations kick arse.   ;D

Toodles!
Shrike

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 09:32:17 pm
Shrike:
The highlights in Joshua's edit make the girl look much older - something I've been trying hard to avoid. She is supposed to be a child, and as a general rule - less detailed, rounder face with a weaker chin communicates youthfulness better. Furthermore I am limited to the 15 colors used in the image.

Here is a very slight edit to follow Helm's advice and make her a bit more determined-looking as well as correct her "pregnant"-ish look:

NOTE: though slightly more determined, she is still lonely with a touch of cockiness.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:40:38 pm by DarkFalzX »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:36 pm
I always get startled when I'm playing a game...and a portrait pops up that looks nothing like the sprites...it puts me off. I felt you were going in that direction, and the first portrait is closer to the "real deal"

First thing I did was brush on her face something that reasembled the configuration of the pixels in her sprite..then tried to add the right emotion....then took out some stuff I thought made it too busy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:53:02 pm by Conceit »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:24 pm
Conceit:

Wow, she looks SUPER ANGRY there :O

Well anyhow.

I just JADified it and SLOPPYfied it, so I dunno, but I tried to make something of it.

I have no problems with 'anime' at all, I find it a good starting point for cartoonish definition of faces, the simple eye-eye-nose-mouth-ness of it all makes it easy to just build something and go from there.

Anyways.

Same pose as sprite, as per Conceit's idea.

I think she looks kinda distressed in mine, but not overly so, I think that's a feeling you'd like to keep subtle, since she's kicking and punching and exploring and stuff, just implying distress in her eyes or something is enough in my opinion.

Oh well, we all know whenever I make a face edit I just jad-animefy it, so durrrr = A=

Keep on going man!

(edit: and nevermind the white blotch there, that was me and graphics gale's transparency not agreeing completely.
' _ '

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 11:28:03 pm

or

I picked at it for a while. She looks older and generic, but more solidly constructed. It was very hard to resist giving her a big fat mustache with curly ends.

Bleh, I'm going back to drawing skulls and butts and barbarians.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:12:03 am by big brother »