AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - Mock the Ocean's Sphere  (Read 65415 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Re: Commercial Critique Challenge - Mock the Ocean's Sphere

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 08:00:48 pm
The correct is indeed weird. It contains a lot of colors of numbers not divideable by 8. I would like to hear the idea behind that, I am interested :)
I do understand how the simplified works, but I believe I am better off just drawing, and correct my (not too much anyway) colors manually at the end :)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:04 am
Graphics Gale seems to allow making new images in 15bpp, but I'm not sure if it's the same as RGB555.

Also, does anyone know how Visualboy Advance accomplishes its "Gameboy Mode" like the example compared to the video Ptong made in the other thread?  Is it simply a brightness increase?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:16 am
video? I dont think it was ptoing that posted that youtube video....and no, it's not just brightness...it lowers the saturation too. might be a tricky thing, I think some colors get more desaturated than others...give it a whirl tho!

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 06:54:53 am
*checks other topic*

Oh, YOU'RE the one that posted the comparison pics.  I got confused.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 02:36:04 pm
The correct is indeed weird. It contains a lot of colors of numbers not divideable by 8. I would like to hear the idea behind that, I am interested :)
OK. I'm not sure where to start from - there are lots of ways of explaining this simple (yes, it is simple) thing -, so I'll sort of resume from where I left.

With the simplified RGB555->RGB888 transformation we have seen that a "full" channel in RGB555 becomes 248 = F8 in 24-bit RGB (RGB888 from now on). However, F8 < FF: if we consider full white, it is easy to see that the simplified method does not allow a real full white, F8F8F8 being the maximum possible (which is slightly darker than FFFFFF).
Looking at this from a more practical point of view, hardware issues aside, ideally GBC's full white is supposed to be equivalent to FFFFFF, not the almost-but-not-quite-white F8F8F8.
The same goes for all the other colors, of course.
In other words, RGB555's range should cover RGB888's range - the difference being only the bigger grain.

In RGB888 a channel value goes from 0 to 255 = FF.
In RGB555 a channel value goes from 0 to 31 = 1F.
RGB888's 0 must look the same as RGB555's 0 (and viceversa).
RGB888's 255 must look the same as RGB555's 31 (and viceversa).

This gives us a strong hint about how to do the RGB555->RGB888 transformation: it must sort of "stretch" the 0...31 values to 0...255. To do this, all that is needed is this simple formula (where C5 = 5-bit Channel and C8 = 8-bit channel):

C8 = (C5 * 255) / 31

Not only this converts correctly the extremes (full black and full white), but it also maps proportionally all the values in between.

saimo

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:54 pm
Thanks for your explanation! I wont work with it, but I always like these kinds of background information!
Also, I don't think using the correct palette is very important. Of course, you can for example indeed not use full white in the simple version, but who says you could on the gameboy itself? Screen settings make the difference (a lot actually)
Or am I wrong and do all LCDs(which I do not know much about, I have a thick oldschool CRT) show colors exactly the same?

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 05:55:56 pm
Ok, but it's quite feasible to just invent my own colours for this and correct them at the end right??

I was concerned that this 'correction' would result in a strong difference in colours, which can make or break sometimes.
If the correction is just minor (as it seems) and won't make much difference then I'll shut up :)

I just mean that, if we were to do that with a NES/Famicom palette it would change things greatly.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:30:21 pm by L___E___T »
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 08:04:47 pm
Been a while...
(Hope these work, I'm using a new location to store them. If they don't work, I'll move them when I get home).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:52:57 pm by Schu »

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 06:55:23 am
In ProMotion:

Search for something like this in your paint program.
Err...I do I find something similar in GraphicsGale?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55:43 am
I'm quite confident GGale lacks any such feature. We'll have to do it the hard way.  :(