AuthorTopic: Running Sprite  (Read 18100 times)

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Re: Running Sprite

Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 08:57:47 pm
Yay for epic-slow-motion running?

I think speeding this up more would help loads, but ff might be screwing up the playing speed.

It's better, but I'm not feeling his weight yet.
Did you even look at anything we've given you?

Anyway

Make sure he doesn't go down and bend his leg immidiately, that's the down; there's a contact frame before that.
So:
Contact (both feet are touching the ground) Down (Arms at their widest point, one foot on the ground and that same leg is bent, compensating for the newly acquired weight, also the lowest part in the animation) Passing Position (i.e. arms and legs are passing each other)  Up (Highest point) Contact (With opposite leg)

That's the formula for a walk.  I think you should start with walks, easier to do, it's more in control.
Richard Williams put runs nicely;  it went something like "Runs are even more out of control than walks, in a walk we are continually falling and catching ourselves.  The faster we go the more out of balance we are."  This isn't really a quote, I'm mashing up the idea of several chapters into there but you get the idea.

So, my advice:
Work on walks instead, do lots and lots of research

But, that's kind of a shitty thing to say as you've put a lot of work into this already.  So, my critique for what you have here would be:
Make it faster, less perfectly controlled, more crazy, and have the feet in the air even more visibly.
Really, really look at the links you've been given, especially:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7876.0

TONS of good information there.
This isn't a place to dump work.  It's a place to listen for critique, apply it as best as you can and screw things up majorly so you'll learn.  Make mistakes.  Go out of your comfort zone.  Listen to critique.  Screw up, learn and end up like us.  I still suck, and I'm still absorbing all of the things I've learned.

Anyone, let me know if what I've said is either assy or incorrect.  I've have to look up runs in The Animators Survival Kit for you, I know more about walks currently but I'll find some stuff for you.

Later
Shrike

ok, I have had a read through this thread :
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7876.0
and a couple of post in this thread and I have re-moddled the arms.... and made it so fram 4 and 10 he is also of the ground, also "tried" to add some re-coil on frames 1 and 7, and just made the colours easier to see, and simply stuff ;)
Thanks for all the help and if I've missed anything just say...

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:42 pm
Just a bit more cleaning up, still reading through a few things.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:05 pm
It seems kind of slow-motion and not exagerrated enough for a run. Although it is now much, much, better than your first few versions.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 07:47:07 pm
His arms stop from traveling backwards, should probably give it some more movement.

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 10:14:43 pm
His arms stop from traveling backwards, should probably give it some more movement.

Arms come back a bit more.
Just need to figure out how to export it faster than it is.
I am sure there is still loads to do, I have read through the whole of this thread again and (I think..) I have (nearly...?) done everything needed(?).

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 08:33:23 am
I think it looks better now that his arm goes back more but it looks strange for it to go back in a straight horizontal line. His arm should bend at his elbow downwards just before coming back forwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NktBYP-c3wU This video should hopefully explain what I mean though it doesn't need to be this extreme.

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:10 pm

Just a bit more updating,made his right arm nearly vertical when it comes back, and just cleaning bit up, I am think about building up the character soon.
 Also the reason why there hasn't been an update in a while is that I kept getting annoyed when ever I had done a load of work with it and came to save it and accidently optimized it and then all the colours ran.  :(

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:04 pm
Don't know why you think a rectangle head is a...

Better head

Your guy doesn't have a neck.
And his head covers his close shoulder.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:36:29 pm by Souly »

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:31 pm

I thought I'd start again with a cleaner image, I have been reading The Animators Survival Kit. I have read about 30 pages all together, and I have the above with alot of reference from page 192 I think, I can't remember, I am no where near done this one, just showing you what I have so far. Still need to add frames where the "X"s are and add some Re-coil. Also I am going for a cartoony look.