AuthorTopic: Running Sprite  (Read 18096 times)

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Re: Walking Sprite

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 01:56:37 pm
Hey there,

is it possible for you to paste the sequence of each frame as that would also help for us to see what needs to be fixed.
At the moment, the legs pick up quite high in front and flicker. It would definitely help if the drawing your using has some volume to it, rather than just a stick figure, as it will prove a pain to clean up when adding character to it. There's also a possibility that you would have to re-animate it.

Just saying this to avoid you having to do too much extra work:)

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 04:04:51 pm

A lot of hours later I now have this, I have made the stick man into a more realistic man about half the size, I think this look alot better, any crits?

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 05:26:04 pm
Yes, animate it!  ;D
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 07:26:39 pm

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 09:33:18 pm
holy shit you better fix his axis spot, he's bouncing all over the place! try to make all of his limbs follow more  of a regular path.

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 08:39:18 pm
Yup, that, and... wasn't it supposed to be walking? I think he is running... I mean, if you know he is running, then it' s quite good, but if you think that this sprite is walking, there' s a LOT to criticise  :)
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:57 pm
As I said, pay attention to arks...   :B

Also, walking or running?

Offline platnium

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:50 am

Less jumpy now.
oh and it is now running, I thought that is this was to be in a game (Which it won't :P) then a sprite would be running.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 03:43:03 pm
It's not a run yet; it's a jumpy walk.

The major difference between the two is that in a run, both feet are visibly off the ground in one or two frames.
In a walk, there is always one foot on the ground.

Pixel-Masters/Animation-Masters: correct me if I am wrong.
He's still pretty flinchy; I'm stubborn about my arks.  An edit later to demonstrate what I mean.
Definitely getting better though

Buy the Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams, it's priceless.  Last summer I just burned through it with a library copy, but I got it for Christmas this year and I learn more from it every time I open it.
Or get it from the Library.

Shrike
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:44:53 pm by Shrike »

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 04:42:47 pm
Platnium, there are some tricks that you must learn to do simply "whatevercycles" easily (These are not general rules, you can complicate the animation as much as you can, but for simple animations, this tricks do well...)

One of the general rules is that the torso and head shape do not change. So, what frames do you want to use, 8? Then, make a head, and a torso in a frame with enough space to fit the legs and the arms. Copy that image 4 times. Leave the first torso untouched. Move the second one pixel down. Leave the third untouched. Raise the 4th one pixel up.

If you do that, you will have a torso in a static axis that moves up and down smoothly. Now attack legs and arms as seen in the reference image.

Now, copy what you have... and change the colour of legs and arms. You got it.