AuthorTopic: Avatars!  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Avatars!

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:25:43 am
In joshua's edit the cheeks accentuate the eyes. The eyes themselves aren't changed much. (Slightly, but the cheeks really help them) Things accentuating each other, something else you should keep in mind.  :)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:36 pm

Added another color and tried some more dithering. At this point, I'd be ready to call the face done, unless anyone can spot any problems I missed.  :)

...As you can see from the right side, I really don't know what I'm doing with the hair. xP I couldn't find any tutorials or examples that weren't in a cartoony/anime style. Help? XD
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:23:05 pm
The shadow under the nose is going the wrong way, should be going to the right, its going to the left.

Only other crit I would have is it doesn't quite look like the girl in the picture, but thats pretty hard to do with such a small resolution.

Good improvement though  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:41:41 pm
You're not finished.

Here's an edit and a few explanations below:

You're not using the value range optimally, I think. Pixel art is about the controlled placement of every pixel. Especially in small resolutions such as this, bad pixel placements and being sloppy really shows. I suggest giving love to every little detail. My edit isn't even 50% as carefully done as it would be if it were my own piece.

Dithering is also a really complicated thing to consider in such small spaces where a single pixel takes up so much space. I'd say the smaller the piece of art the less useful dithering is. I tried to use dithering well here but if it were my piece I'd do without dithering aallllmost completely (some fades are necessary).

Try to think about pixel art as pixel art more. Try to think what you can do to maximise the capability of your pixels in small groups (forget about single pixel noise, try to think of them as in groups of two or more of the same color. Check out how I didn't use any single pixels almost anywhere). This is an important point for the pixel art beginner. Think of shapes of pixels and how to make them band as little as possible while also accentuating the forms you want to convey. It's a juggling act between precision-to-form, aa and avoiding banding, essentially.