AuthorTopic: Sprite  (Read 3680 times)

Offline steven

• View Profile

Sprite

on: January 11, 2006, 04:07:18 am
The front and bad walking don't look too bad but the sides are horrible I have been trying to play with it but very unsuccessful and help or suggestions are welcome.

Offline entivore

• Never known love
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:53:40 am
Well, my first suggestion:  Put the frames into an animated gif.  An easy way is to just download something like "animagic" and paste the frames into it.  It's easier to judge an animation than a bunch of frames.

Second, take a look at this:  http://www.anticz.com/Walks.htm
Only in the darkness can one most brightly shine

暗闇だけで最も明るい状態で光り輝くことができる

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:06:50 am
I use GraphicsGale. If it's registered, you can save gifs. And stuff.
Well, I don't know about the face. It looks like a cylinder. Also, you don't necessarily need frames to invision how a walk will look like, entivore. A good animator should be able to look at that and tell him whether or not it works. (Not that I am one)
It seems there was quite a bit of copy/pasting/rotating going on, I think. That's not bad (since being such a mediocre animator, I do it too), but if you did do that, try cleaning up some of the pixels. I'll take a guess that moving his crotch up a pixel or two, his upper legs closer, and elongating the arms sometimes may help the appearance of the sprite. Also, the dithering pattern for the spine can be removed one pixel from his neck, I think.
Another thing, shouldn't his head be looking in the right direction walking sideways? I guess I don't understand why you had him look at the screen walking sideways.
and, uh,
well, watch people walk. That's how I learned how to animate walks. :D

Offline entivore

• Never known love
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 04:56:45 am
Gonna have to contradict CAG.  If you want critique on an animation, you really should post an animation along with the frames.  Also the arm's length is perfect as is.

You should also try darkening the outline, and adding contrast.

In the north/up view, there shouldn't be a line seperating the head and torso.  This is because the head doesn't extend far out past the torso from behind like it does in front.  Also, since the legs would be going under the body and towards the background, the raised leg should be darker and smaller.

For the front view, the leg that's on the ground should be shorter;  This is because he is stepping forward with his raised leg, so the ground leg is farther back by comparison.

For the side view, the head should be wider.  His feet need to step up off of the ground, bending at the knees.
Only in the darkness can one most brightly shine

暗闇だけで最も明るい状態で光り輝くことができる

Offline steven

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 06:22:57 am
caught me on a heavy work weekend ill probably get a chance to play with the comments on monday or tuesday but I didfinatley will read and try out all suggestions, We really need pixel talent heh..