AuthorTopic: tileset for portfolio 2nd update  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: tileset for portfolio * updated

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:21:42 am
I dunno, I think I might be the only one who doesn't like them.
Everything is well constructed, but they seem really safe. Too safe even.
I hate that palette you've used: looks very typical, and lifeless.
So I guess what I want to see is something more lively, and original.

The sprites on the other hand, I love.

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Re: tileset for portfolio * updated

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 11:02:28 am
Close to beeing perfect I'd say. Colors and the overall softness is great. The only weak point remains the trees. I don't know if the shape is the problem (could very well be though) or maybe the color - those kinda trees could use a darker color - besides they blend too well with the grass now... Anyways - lovely tiles!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Re: tileset for portfolio 2nd update

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 12:31:35 am
**update above

@ Darion, thx man, good to be back

@ Andy, Treesize - yea, they were supposed to be illustrative, but i see you point, i enlarged them as much as possible (w. one free pixel on the top and in the bottom so it won't look cluttered when i place em on a row. Tried fixing the initial prob. w. bigger trees - the tiling, by using both a small and a big one to tile w.)

@ Kazuya - thx, yay, flat tiles forever xD + the above notes on the trees

@ Faceless - about the safeness, gotta give u that, nothing very original here, i'm merely trying to show of the fact that i can tile, not to create new art. When i can tile in my sleep, might work on some less traditional stuff ^^. About the colors - it's fair enoguh that you hate 'em, if you could ellaborate on what parts you don't like however, i might be able to dew something about. I don't agree that it "very typical" color use, i know it's nothing revolutionary, but i'd like to think that it's not seen in every second game. The lifelessness, yea you could properbly call it a tad lifeless, properbly because of the low sat (witch helm also noted). In my experience, you have a choice between low sat smooth, easy on the eyes sort o' stuff, and a high sat more vivid stuff. This is based on pers. sole on pers. experience so plz correct me if im wrong. I like both high and low sat in different ways, but sometimes i have a tendency to go for the more de-sat, so ill try doing some highsat for mi next project. Glad you like the sprites.

@ Niss, Thank ya, you have a point trees, it would spice everything up a tad if the trees had a differemt hue. I tried changing it but had quite some trouble w. finding something i was satified with. I'm planning 2 more mockups screens and ill use some more foresttiling in them, hopefully that will make it easier to pick the right color

Thx for all the c&c, keep it comming ^^
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:36:36 am by vedsten »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 01:49:43 am
Thats an awesome tileset man, it's like Advance wars meets Legend of zelda.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 03:47:30 am
Nice update vedsten. The interface is really cool. Only thing left that kinda bothers me is that 'bright' tone you used right before the underwater detail. I think you were trying to give a bevel effect perhaps? I'm not sure if its necessary to keep it, however its just my opinion.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 02:55:10 pm
Very nice mock , I really like the colors .
Hope to see some more of your works :)