AuthorTopic: tileset for portfolio 2nd update  (Read 11682 times)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

tileset for portfolio 2nd update

on: January 21, 2006, 03:01:05 am
I hope to get some freelance pixel gigs, and since im not too happy about the few cell games, that i've allready done, i thought I'd throw together some new stuff to put in a portf. I'd really like some input on what to put in a decent pixel portf. aand some c&c on the tileset i've done. Im gonna ad sprites and some gameplay stuff, but i'd like input on the tileset before i begin. C&c away.

*update x2

1. draft : http://www.inventiveminds.dk/vedsten/temp/mockup.gif

2. draft : http://www.inventiveminds.dk/vedsten/temp/mockup2.gif

(added water variation tiles, added sprites)

NEW : /

(made trees bigger, added interface, rearanged mockup slightly)
- individual comments below

crazed panda / samurai / besearker

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:09:36 am by vedsten »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: tileset for portfolio

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:02:53 am
The tileset is strong. You might want to go with more saturation overall. Also, ripples in the water or reflections might be a good challenge if you've never tried them before, they're tricky as hell. Can't think of anything else right now.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:22:24 am
Mmm... yummy tileset. Tessellates quite well, great color selection too. You might want to add some underwater detail (shallow/deeper areas) perhaps. Also I'm not sure if the dithering in the water worked out too well, but I might just be picky. Still very nice work.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:48:09 pm
Hawt.The tiles are beautiful, I especially love how you did the rocks.The tile edges are hidden very well considering how many tiles you used. Of course, the tiles can be discovered easily enough by looking at the specific mountains, but I find I don't care because of how interesting their shape and arrangement is. The clumps of detailed grass that you place around are really nice, too. In fact, this tileset is almost too nice to put on a dingy cellphone screen.

Since you're looking for suggestions to stick in a portforlio, I'd like to see how a snowy field, or a desert would look in that style.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:00:21 pm
really nice tileset. the only thing i dont like is the trees
theyre made fine n all... but I'd prefer to see some larger sized trees
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:08:51 am
update above

Updated image and added sprites. Tried detailing the water, added a.. uhmm patch of... different texture. If you guys like it i'll make a tileable set of it (but it's alot o' extra tiles so i wont go ahead and make 'em before i get some input). Also, threw in a couple o' sprites, c&c on them, appreciated as well!

@helm - thx, i think a reflection would look too blury since it would "colide" with the submerged parts of the stones. The ripple effect - tried, and yea, certainly a challenge- can't pull it off though, i've cant match the style of the other tiles D: (tried spicing up the water, the... easy way)

@Dhaos - thx, tessallates ? :D gave it a go at some underwater variation tiles, i'll keep the dithering for now, but if i make the full oceanfloor variation tileset, i'll properbly scrap it.

@crab - thank ya, might make desert/snow tilesets, dunno, might move on to a different genre like platforming or something, to display my skill(or lack of it) in that area... might just make a snowy landscape for that ^^

@taka - thx, the trees.... your right, i allready made like a 1000 tries to edit it, everytime i run into problems w. tiling. Either, they stay this size, or, ill have to make them much bigger in order for the tiling to work (correct me if im wrong), i chose to keep the small ones

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:14:03 am by vedsten »

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Re: tileset for portfolio * updated

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 12:17:56 am
Very cool, man. I'm glad you decided to start posting again; missed your work. :)
@darionmccoy

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 06:55:12 am
 The trees could be bigger. They look like the are same size as the rocks which makes the characters the same size as the tiles. Then, we would all be in the world of giant people lol.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 05:00:43 pm
yeah tree size is really the only thing that bothers me. every thing else is perfect. the colores, the shading. very good. Yey for flat grass tiles!~

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 06:32:08 pm
Reminds me of a whittled down Secret of Mana.  What I mean by that is "it's nice work" :p
typing ewith fdace