AuthorTopic: [ WIP ] DEATHTRAP  (Read 8657 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: [ WIP ] DEATHTRAP

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:02:53 pm
Ok, I made a quick edit, gonna get some food and work on this more,

I liked op's edit, but I think the head was too large looking to make it believable that the monster was able to eat the rest of the body so in my edit I made the head slightly smaller, also, I turned the guy because I thought it would be more dramatic if he's looking at the monster while it's eating him, just some really rough stuff for the face right now, I want your opninions on weather or not you think this will work, I also thought about having an arm coming out of the right side but I'm not sure if that would work either.

Another thing is that I had the eye reflecting in the original, tried to make that more apparent in this edit.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments, helm, I have a bunch of reference images on facial construction, I'm still learning forms, if you have any good pointers, I'd love to hear them.

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:37:20 pm
Here's a super quick'n'dirty edit to show what I envision when I see this:

I think showing a bit more of the body makes it more believable that the monster is actually eating him, and the wider canvas just looked better to me.

[Edit \/ : That second one is totally dope!]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:02:14 pm by Pawige »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:44:39 pm
Pawige! Nice, I was thinking it needed to be wider, I just finished an edit with the hand almost like how you had it.

added more scene elements based on pawige's edit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:57:44 pm by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 10:02:57 pm

I much prefer this version to any of the edits. It's much more cerebral. If you keep on refining it, it could turn into something very cool.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:08:51 pm
Pawige! Nice, I was thinking it needed to be wider, I just finished an edit with the hand almost like how you had it.

added more scene elements based on pawige's edit.

:D
Good, but the arm is only holding the rope, not putting any force into it.  Make his arm straight, and make the rope so taut that it looks like it'll break any minute.  And, what's with the perfect hair?  Is he combing it as he gets devoured?   ::)  Mess it up some, IMHO.

LOVING THIS, people getting eaten by monsters rules.

Toodles,
Shirke

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 04:12:16 am
Jeez, there were way too many colours. I got it down to 18 and did some edits to make sure the palette will work.

More fleshing:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:22:50 pm by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 09:44:49 pm
how about adding a theme to this, because at the moment it is just seems a bit random.

perhaps transform the rope into a vine, and give it a jungle theme with trees and scenery.  possibly the creatures lair behind with bones and other animal entrails or explorers remains.
it would give you a lot more to pixel in terms of background.

liking the new character and palettes a lot.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:08:40 pm
I agree, I kept looking at the rope thinking it didn't make sense, unless this was the pitfall dude and that green monster was an alligator. Although you gave me a very interesting idea, putting a lair/monster/etc.. into the bg. Honestly, I was going to have the right and left bg elements kind of blurred and non detailed to draw more attention to the main character, but I can still do something similar using a few colors to make a monster:

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 02:13:18 am
Good, but the arm is only holding the rope, not putting any force into it.

maybe hes trying to pull so hes bending his arm back, none the less, the rope does need to portray that also. i like the idea of the hand pushing him in, but theres no definition that hes actually getting pushed in, i think it has to do with that second hand looking nicely placed to that position so he can have a nice cuppa.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:06 am
A thought on the bg environment, since you expanded it, give it mood - deck it out in organic alienish monster surfaces/objects, think of what the aliens from the sci-fi "Alien" would do to a ship's interior when taken over and converted into nesting grounds - there was people cocooned up in nasty alien growth stuff, organic pipes, tubes, random living tumorous material everywhere. Think Giger. Jabba here would probably feel more at home, too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:13:59 pm by Mathias »