AuthorTopic: [ WIP ] DEATHTRAP  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

[ WIP ] DEATHTRAP

on: January 28, 2009, 04:10:57 am
So I found this pixel on my hard drive today that I doodled about 6 months ago, it was extremely messy and the colors were experimental ( i'm not so good at choosing colors so I was trying different stuff ). Anyway, after working on this for a few hours I got it to a place where I think it can turn into a good pixel. I figured I'd do the usual and post it here for C&C or just show you guys my process.

Still pretty messy, but this is how I do my lineart, its more of messy blob art, then I go in for the kill and detail everything. The arm is supposed to be twisted around and sticking out of the narrow hole like the head but I can still see how it's off vs. the mouth size, I'll probably fix that next. Also trying to make the monster translucent so you can see the shilouette of the dude inside the monster.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: [ WIP ] DEATHTRAP

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:17:50 am
I like the colors myself, and it's nice to see you posting around here, Dogmeat.  :crazy:

In ways of critique, I would say (on the face) have the current normal skin tone ( the yellow) be the highlight, and use it sparingly.  Make a slightly darker color and use that for the skin tone.

Also, the arm placement confuses me.  Is it from someone else's body? If it's from his, I'd make it in front of the head, or closer to it anyway.  Maybe have it protruding on the right instead?

This has a lot of potential to be killer.  I love it, keep it up!

By the way, do you have MSN or YIM or anything of the sort?  I'd like to talk to you online, and email is cumbersome.

Good workness!
Toodles!
Shrike

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 05:02:54 am
the teeth behind the body confuses me, they just look like lines, unlike the teeth infront of the body, where there is a amount of detail gone into them,

and shrike dogmeat does have aim, but i deicide not to talk to him because it always has at work when hes online and i dont want to disturb him.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:21:39 am
oh you guys can disturb me anytime, maybe I'll change my message. I just forget to change it.

Made some changes, more tomorrow:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:51:56 am by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:21 am
I'm not sure about this, but:

Why is the man's eye half glazed-over, considering he's being eaten alive? Unless you made it ilike that because he's losing consciousness/dying :P

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:31:26 am
No, you're right, the eyelid needs to go because I'm trying to make it look like his eyes are rolling back in terror. Your observation made me realize this, thank you.

Here, I have done an edit:

Moved the eye and tried to capture the TERROR that I wanted
Adjusted chin area to make teeth make more sense, and man seem more proportionate, now when you look at the dark green on the monster, it matches the guy, sort of translucent, it will get there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:10:17 am by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 02:31:17 pm
the blue shading on the hair doesnt match your light source(s) i think removing a majority of it, and make it more paralell to the outline of the dude will work better

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:13 pm
Well, Dawg, first I have to say is that the colours really don't work for me. Some guy getting eaten by a horrible monster coloured in every colour of the rainbow doesn't do it for me.
But the colours are not the biggest problem here.
The biggest problem is form and anatomy. The guy doesn't look very human at all currently.
Though I'm hardly the leading authority on anatomy and form, I made an edit:

I just think you need to take a few steps back.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:04:09 pm
Nice Op :)

I can't help the fact that I always want to use bright yellow/pink/neongreen/blue/etc.. to color everything, but you're right. I really was trying to go for abstract colors on this, but in the end, i think this is going to be a detail pixel so some palette fudging is necessary. As for your edit, I think you're on the right track as far as skin tone/anatomy/etc.. I'll work on an update with some cleanup work/changes to the character/etc .. tonight.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:40 pm
The colors can be whatever, really. As long as the value range works and the model is anatomically correct to some degree. You need to do some fundamental studies of the face and how its planes are constructed. It will help this piece and your art in general much more than experimental palettes.