AuthorTopic: Simple animation  (Read 11697 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Simple animation

on: January 27, 2009, 04:50:23 am

I think it's a relatively smooth run. 12 frames, colors are irrelevant right now.
I feel a bit weird about how far the arms reach back. Don't know if I should have him lean a bit more.

I'll try to start ?skinning? this running blob. Any comments and criticism would be appreciated.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Simple animation

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:29 am
The blue arm does reach a little too far back in my opinion. I'd also recommend adding some head movement, it looks a little robotic as is. Other than that, looks fine to me.  :)
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:07:37 am
Hey,

I think there are a few things that could improve this:

- Add bounce to the guy. Usually the entire body moves up and down as a person runs. In yours, the head is not moving vertically and it makes him look a bit weightless. Usually, the torso and head are highest when the legs are most extended, and then it moves smoothly up and down
- Keep the arms bent at their most extreme point. Yours are straightening, and I've never seen someone run like that. They may decrease in angle due to the force of movement during the passing point (when they are both by his sides), but at the extremes they should remain bent.
- The leg straightens out as the body passes over it to push everything up, and the you push off with your toes. In yours, the leg remains bent after it lands, and then just lifts off the ground, there is no push

Other then that, looks good. It's quite smooth, just needs some hammering out to make it look weightful.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:30 am
Sorry for taking so long to do so little. I changed when our little buddy is in the air, I think it adds a bit of realism too it. Fixed the arms, yet they still look very wrong. I didn't change the head to bob up and down but was planning on trying to sub pixel it. If that doesn't work I'll go with your suggestion.

I now see NaCl's comment about elbows. That'd probably do it.

I'm pretty terrible at animation so I hope to come out alive with this one. I'll fix those elbows and get some skin on him.

Thanks to NaCl and Regulus Awesome for pointing the things.

This is some minor tile work I'm getting together, feel free to critique these as well.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:53:22 pm
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:02:30 pm
Great post Ptoing. Now I will never have to post critic about a run ever again, I'll just redirect here.
The bounce is quite extreme but if you don't like it you can just not use it and the run still looks great.

Nitpicks on Ptoings version:
The blue arm is too far back on frame 9 so it moves forward again on frame 10 and then back again on frame 11.
I like it better when the feet move at a constant speed on the ground and it's most convenient if it's a game animation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:04:16 pm by robotacon »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:45 pm
Oh heh, that thing with the arm there was just me fucking up.
What do you mean with constant speed on the ground? you mean same amount of pixels of foot movage each frame?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:22:57 pm
great. It could be made even more cartoonesque by having the spine bowing and extending with the head bop, right ?

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 03:23:27 pm
Yes of course. The one I made is very simple and generic. You could do all kinds of stuff depending on what you do with the passing position and such, you can be very creative.

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:15:35 pm
Sorry to dissagree with some of you, but, whereas I do like Ptoing' s running cycle, I am not extremelly satisfied... I think the main problem is with the arms. I haven't  downloaded the image, and took a close look in an animation program, but looks that the arms move exactly the same in every frame. I don't  like that, I think that the arms do follow the theory of the "bouncing ball" a bit.

(Image taken from idelworm)

Arms move very little when the arm is at top back and top front, and a LOT during the passing...

Like this:
. .  .     .            .                           .                          .               .      .  . .

Sven did this (I think):
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Hope somebody understands what I say...  :crazy:
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...