AuthorTopic: Simple animation  (Read 11797 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Simple animation

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:45 am
Actually the spacing on the arms is NOT even, but it certainly is not overly refined, but definatly not . . . .
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 02:24:37 pm
Actually the spacing on the arms is NOT even, but it certainly is not overly refined, but definatly not . . . .

Sorry Sven, I don't understand a word...  :D You mean "Don't  mind the arms, I didn' t took attention to them"?
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:47:52 pm
What you mean with the  . . . . or  .. .  .  . .. is called spacing, how certain elements are spaced. The spacing of the arms are not even, not . . . . Tho there is a little error there as robotacon pointed out.

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:59:48 pm
Spacing! Good to know another tecnical word, I really need them.

The spacing of the arms are not even, not . . . . Tho there is a little error there as robotacon pointed out.

The world I was not understanding there was "EVEN". Do you mean "even" as an "adjective"? Equal to "uniform"?

Then I agree... Sorry for hijacking this thread with this "discussion" (If there is another place where this should be made, please, point it to me), but don' t you think that, the more cartoonish, the most (.. .   .     .     .   . ..) and the less (. . . . . .)? (How would you express that; The more cartoonish, the more spaced, the more realistic, the more even?)

For example, if you see Usaian Bolt running, his spacing is almost even, if you see a cartoon, the more spaced the movements of the arms are. Same with bouncing. Profi sprint runners doesn't bounce. Cartoons do. (At least that' s what comes to my mind if I try to visualize them running...)

And, to finish, I post an unfinished animation of mine, with lots of errors, I know (The arms shake between in high point, contact, recoil...) but would probably show what I mean about spacing.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:06:43 pm by Ignacio »
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 08:21:13 pm
Even in a realistic animation the rules of spacing apply.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjJe4elifI

Notice how spacing creates the sense of momentum and weight here, even without using a lot of frames. Without proper spacing everything will seem floaty and abstract.
You can make things more cartoonish by exaggerating the momentum but that doesn't always work. The spacing should have more to do with the weight and velocity of the object you're trying to convey.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:27:31 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:40 pm
What do you mean with constant speed on the ground? you mean same amount of pixels of foot movage each frame?

Exactly.
If it's a game sprite and it moves at a constant speed you want the foot to land on one place and stay there until it is picked up or the character will slip and slide on every step.

EDIT:
Ignacio got the same problem with his run making it look like Indy is running on a treadmill
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:33:21 pm by robotacon »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:31 pm
well yeh, that is ideal i agree, but it depends on the type of game and in some cases this can be pretty much neglected.

actually some other gif I threw together, can't remember whose sprite this is D:

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:27 pm
It's MadGarden's. I remember Helm insisting that any respectable programmer would make the movement pixel perfect. I think Mad was fine with letting him glide.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 09:40:44 pm
the simplest solution there would be to simply adjust the animation to flow like the top but have the foot to ground thing proper. Not like that's hard

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:24 am
Wow, these feedback is almost over whelming. I usually get a few replies that don't help or make sense. This is a nice change. Thank you.

I think this is a big improvement. The legs haven't received much work, I'll get to that soon. The head too, don't know why I didn't get to that.

This is just a test. I think I need to simplify it. I like the eyes.