AuthorTopic: CLOSED  (Read 10583 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Dual Splitfire game dump 5

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 09:50:40 pm
Is this better?

It looks better to me. Still fussing over the helmet, thing.

Cnc please?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Dual Splitfire game dump 5

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:02:58 pm
You really need to get the contrast down and pick a light source first. In your piece, the left leg has the light source to the left, the right leg has it to the right, the helmet is lit from the top, the torso from the bottom, the left arm from the right and the shoulder pads from the left and front.

The guy on the bottom right seems a bit more consistent in his shading and posture. The one on the left is leaning back though.

You have received a lot of edits, try looking at them sometime ;)

As for palette, try to stay away from completely straight ramps, full saturation, etc. Also, try getting away from the primary colors. You use pure blues, reds and greens mostly. There's 255 different hues to pick from in most pixel art programs, you use only a range of 2 or 3.

And finally to answer your question: both helmets make some sense, it all depends on where your light source is...

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Dual Splitfire game dump 5.2

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 03:27:08 am

If you can't tell a difference, then I've failed once again. I think I'll look for articles on shading and the like. The only problem is, that all you ever find is stuff for Isometrics, Rpgs, and Fighting games. Not too much platformer/shooter stuff out there. Anyways, I've got several article sites bookmarked. I can probably go through those while I do some Runecrafting(cough Runescape jargon cough). If you'd like to say something thats not already been said before, feel free to do so.

Thanks again.
CnC if your interested.

(oh, and I don't think i need anymore edits. If i can't tell by now, I won't be able to tomorrow.)
(Boy, is this turning out to be one looong credit list.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:46:56 am by xhunterko »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:28 am
I'll say something I don't think has been said yet... do something new. You have made something you are at least somewhat happy with, and now you're afraid to deviate. I mean, the latest one looks virtually the same as the very first one you posted in the other thread. The amount he has actually changed is infinitesimal. You have squandered all the great critique, advice, and edits that have been provided. Also, don't just look for a tutorial the explains exactly step by step how to make what you want. That's worthless. If you want to learn how to shade, look into a shading tutorial for traditional media, or for virtually any media. You don't need a, "learn how to shade 50 pixel tall blue space ninjas in the side scrolling perspective" tutorial.

I'm not trying to offend you, I just think it hearing something like this is the best advice. Good luck.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 04:26:33 am
I still can't see a light source, you shade everything on the edges only. There should be areas of darkness and light, while all your highlights are lines running down one end of a volume.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: CLOSED

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 06:20:43 am
I find it amazing that one person can be given so much help and still not take a single step forward. I am closing the thread for now. I don't want to waste anybody's time anymore. Apparently I have no clue of what I'm doing and probably never will. Unless I feel like posting something again, it won't be on this thread. I really don't know why I don't understand basic concepts. Or know how to learn anything from basic crits and excellent edits. I appreciate everyone's time and effort with this.

Since I won't be able to get anyway with anybody's advice, I would appreciate it if the Mods would lock this thread. Thank you.

Sincerely, Xhunterko.
Apologies for wasted time.