AuthorTopic: Ancient Game of Sides (AGS) Tiles for a Turn Strategy Game in progress...  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile
Hello mates... :) I think this is my first post here asking for help, so, be gentle...  ;D

This started as a timekiller, I wanted to do the Dome of the Rock, as small as I could and in Iso, and it turned to be something that kept me entertained for 3 or 4 days. I' d like to do a game like Civilization 2 or Panzer General but in the Middle Ages.

I think I have enough to show something, but not enough to redo it completelly if I goofed somewhere. Tiles are on the low right side, and the grid shows a test of how the tiles would look in, let' s say, the Iberican Peninsula...  ;)

PS: Oh... Could somebody please post a link to a tutorial for banding redoucing? I' ve been browsing here for knowning exactly what it tecnically is (The red dragon post helped a bit...), and I think I *know* what it is, but I as I don' t understant the stuff completelly, and, if I don' t understand, I could remember the theory like parrots, but I would goofe it again the following week...  :'(

PSS: Oh, oh... I forgot... I started this after being amazed for the "Kings: The game" thread... So, this is a homage to the author of that thread and the guys who made edits to the original work... You have the credits you deserve, guys.  :)
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
First off, awesome grid for getting hexagons in isometric. I saw the link to the other thread immediately and I like your take on it.

I'd drop the pure black if I were you, it is far too harsh compared to the rest of this work. Especially the lines between tiles need to go for something softer.

I'd also work on the tiling of your sand. Here's an example of something I did when I was trying to get a similar result:

Banding is something you should only worry about once it pops up. No need to break your head over it when you don't have a piece that has it which you can work on. I don't really see banding in your work, so it really doesn't matter...

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile
pretty darn good so far, i especially like the water. I agree with Gil on the sand.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile
Looks neat, but playing a game at that angle would annoy me after a while.

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR
woah man you've done a great job on the water and the water-land connection tiles, i should really be learning from you,

now mountains need smoothing out and a removal of those black lines, Basically exactly what Gil said.

and im loving the buildings. Keep working on this man *thumbsup*

PS: if i was in Spain you and me would have the same name, haha

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn
I have to chip in and say that I also love the water, beach tiles and buildings.

The rest of the landscape is only early sketches, I hope, because the mountains and hills area really unshapely and do not benefit from the black outline. I tip would be to find photo references and study those. I believe the structures (and all other units) should have black outlines for the sake of readability, but I agree with the other posts that the landscape does not need or benefit from black outlines at all.

I'm a sucker for isometric stuff and hexagonal stuff, so this combination has me very excited!

Offline Ignacio

• View Profile
The "inspirer" saying that the job is good? Wow... what a big honor. :)

I didn' t understand the "black outlines" complain... It' s not pure black, but now I think that what you really mean is that it' s a "too dark" colour". I will fix that.

I have been working mainly in connectors, for the coast, and coast to grass specifically, and I' ve changed the pallete... I think now it' s better.

I was happy with the mountains, but two complains (critics, or whatever you call them.. I am not offended, I NEED them, that' s why I am here ;D) is too much. I will work on it asap. I tried to make more sand tiles, as Gil said, but I didn't really focused on it, since his help seems too good that I will only have to copy the style when needed (thanks Gil).

And Evil... I don't understand the crit of the game angle. Understand me, I am not thinking "This asshole is criticising me, fuck him!" I am more into "This guy doesn't really like something... What is it?" If you clarify I could apply that critic into solving something, but I don't have the explanation. :(

Update:

Oh! I' ve added a new "church" tile. It's the roman catholic cathedral... See it in its location in "Barcelona".  ;D

EDIT: Have in mind that the image is too big, and you' ll have to scroll right to see the tiles...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:35:40 pm by Ignacio »
I come here humble, trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, for improving my art and try to help the others improving their own when I can...

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think that the dark lines on the tiles will work, only if you AA them, right now they're too crisp.

Very cool new stuff, looking great! :)