AuthorTopic: The Ongoing War  (Read 13038 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: The Ongoing War

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:46 am
You are right, I checked it, ProMotion does have pixel snap. Paint doesn't seem to have any pixel underneath the cursor and I believe it's photoshop that has both, but lacks the snap.

So, I stand corrected on that part. Basically it's all just preferences anyway, whatever works. I found that working in PM just lessened my workflow a bit.

ProMotion is a lot more powerful and feature rich though. So, if you're looking for that, GG is in no way a substitute.

Photoshop and Paint are behind those two by a lot though. I used to work with an older version of Paint Shop Pro and that one is a bit in the middle. It has some nice features, feels good, but the animation is clunky and it really isn't made for pixel art.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 12:25:18 am
Is promotion available for mac?? (without emulating or installing windows)

I've always wanted to try it, but not at the cost of changing OS.

Currently I'm a photoshop user but I'm getting tired of remembering to turn off AA and all those extra un-pixelart-friendly features. 

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:40 pm
I'm a graphics gale person, Right click dropper.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:00 pm
said it before and I'll say it again the constantly playing preview in Ggale is like crack for me  :o

also the fact you can dock and undock the tools however you want...as well as assign any shortcut you want to anything you want

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:01:16 pm
Things I like about GraphicsGale:

- Right click color grabber
- Hold right for click insta-select
- Photoshop-style layers
- Onion-skinning!
- Easy palette manipulation
- Euphoria-inducing preview window (as Conceit mentioned)
- Can export animations as a sprite sheet
- Simple and intuitive

I really wish you could select different layers with ctrl+click like in Photoshop and it'd be nice to be able to adjust the brushes manually instead of having to pick from a few presets. But overall I prefer it over any other pixelling software.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:26 pm
I prefer graphics gale, because most of it's free and because I find it faster/easier to use.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 01:51:55 am
The whole faster/easier thing is totally subjective, mind you. I once tried GG and I did not like the interface for some reason. Also it is a matter of getting used to stuff.
If you watch Helm's mockup video you will see that he is rather fast with PM, tho I would say he is not working anywhere as efficient as he could have, in terms of workflow. And I am sure if he would do the same task now he would probably be faster. All a matter of getting to know a program.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:23:24 pm
The whole faster/easier thing is totally subjective, mind you. I once tried GG and I did not like the interface for some reason. Also it is a matter of getting used to stuff.
If you watch Helm's mockup video you will see that he is rather fast with PM, tho I would say he is not working anywhere as efficient as he could have, in terms of workflow. And I am sure if he would do the same task now he would probably be faster. All a matter of getting to know a program.
I just said I personally find GG easier/faster.
I'm fully convinced ProMotion is a much superior program in most ways. I like the way graphicsgale works because it's similar to other programs I'm used to. But I don't like the interface.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:27:03 pm by Emtch »

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:40 pm
Where is the war?

I use Graphic gale for most things. I tried Promotion for while but canīt get really used to it.
PM is nice for a few things and has some relly helpful features.

But I am totally used to pick colors with the right mousebutton, speed up the workflow for me.
Or is there a way to get this in PM, and I am only to dumb to figure it out ???

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 07:55:59 pm
You start to appreciate Pro Motion when you think 'gosh, I wish there was this sort of specific feature coded in it' and then you realize it is already, and it's useful, and you grow attached to it and then you try GGale and it doesn't have it and you have to do that same thing by hand again. It's like Photoshop in a way (for image editing). If you only use Photoshop for very basic things, the rest is bloat. But if you're interested in doing complex things efficiently and faster, Photoshop has features you'd probably like.

The fallacy is that because pixel art deals with a basic entity that is easy to manipulate in any program (the pixel) then every artist approaches making things with pixels in basic ways. It isn't so. There's dozens of little helpful things in pro motion for any artist that is serious about their work and willing to dig through the documentation to try them out. If you're not adventurous, you don't need it. Stick to GGale.

The danger of course is getting carried away with inexact tools in Pro Motion and arriving at faux Photoshoppery by way of index painting. And then arguing with the lesser informed about how what you did is all 'hand-pixelled'. But that's a moral boundary, not the fault of the program in any way.

Ptoing is right, I am ok-fast, but I could be faster if I sat down with the program more and learned it more. When time allows I will. Pro Motion is near inexhaustible as far as smart little features go and more keeps getting added because Jan listens to artists. GGale is for me, a great option for beginners. MSpaint is just some sort of strange sadistic joke.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:58:40 pm by Helm »