AuthorTopic: 32/64 colour generic palette  (Read 24779 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

32/64 colour generic palette

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:14:59 pm
I'd take out some of the shades of purple, and add in 2 greys and have a black-grey-grey-white ramp.  If you like purple too much try getting rid of the two bottom ramps and make a grey there, and up the contrast of the others, since there aren't really any darks.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 05:23:38 pm
Quite nice, but 2 of the grey's are not "clean" greys

Why would you need clean grays guys? I provided slightly tinted grays, which should work just fine. I think any straight gray ramp looks boring and I never use it in a piece. Slightly tinted, they still provide as buffer colors, but the ramp doesn't look boring.

You are probably right about the browns, there can be an extra one there to bridge the orange.

The purple and blue ramp are godawful right now, same with the dark colors, I guess I've got some more work to do.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 11:12:36 pm
I'm tempted to skip plain greys and go with one warm and one cool grey ramp. When you draw with markers, it looks good if you use different temperatures.

Looking at my histogram, grey gets a huge amount of hits, but with games / art it's more useful to explore the more saturated regions of space. Still, I could probably convert a few of my more grayish colors and the plain grey ramp into two warm and cool ramps.

On the other hand... my plain greys can be made to look cool and warm when placed adjacent to other colors, and as neutral grays they bridge better to any given color. But with cool and warm ramps I could also bridge, with more fitting hues to choose from. I guess someone who has used the C64 palette is more suitable than me to be a judge on this matter.

I should probably take a look at the Chaos Engine and Speedball palettes. They have a lot of nice hues in the greys, iirc.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: 32/64 colour generic palette

Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 05:17:39 pm
Any chance of a thread resurrection here, Arne? Anything further to add? Highly interested.
Note my current 'Expand C64 pal to 32 colors' thread.

*EDIT   Here's this thread's results organized into one bar and sorted by luminosity, as per ProMotion's greyscale conversion method.

Note the defined "fourths" in the luma ramp.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:41:48 am by Mathias »