AuthorTopic: Direct X help please!  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Direct X help please!

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:44 pm
I can only conclude that this claim is made from ignorance.

Your post is full of inaccuracies. If you don't believe me, go read up on facts. Python contains a whole number of complex language constructs with extra syntax attached for example.

I'm not going to further argue over this. I'm a programming major with heaps of academic knowledge on all of these things. So again, where do you get all this incorrect information?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 04:29:24 pm
I looked into it, and I guess the newest version of Java can be roughly, arguably as fast as C++. I still have a bias against it because change is scary!

Performance also, should not ever be something a newbie thinks much about

Definitely, but what I was saying is that eventually you will need to worry about it, and if you just start with C++ then there is less to learn then if you just start with Python. Learning a compiled language first really isn't that bad I feel, once you figure out the magic, "make my program run" button (ctrl+f5 by the way Talos, in visual studio).

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 06:52:42 pm
Okay I've progressed a bit but now I'm stuck. Can someone diagnose the problem?

What does it want me to do with this stdafx.h thing?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:16 pm
You need a semicolon after the cout statement:

cout << "blah";

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:50 pm
I can only conclude that this claim is made from ignorance.

Your post is full of inaccuracies. If you don't believe me, go read up on facts. Python contains a whole number of complex language constructs with extra syntax attached for example.

[/quote]
I haven't found anything on this subject so far.
However I think I may have read 'full of complex syntax' as 'a complex language', when of course they are not equivalent.

Talos:
In addition to what NaCi said, it will help the readability of your code later to get into good indentation habits now. In this case, the cout statement and the cin statement should be indented the same amount, since they are at the same level of nesting (inside the main() function)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.