AuthorTopic: first ever pixel art  (Read 4940 times)

Offline exDNA

• 187um
    • View Profile
    • deviantart

first ever pixel art

on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:43 pm
dont go too hard on me, its my first ever attempt at pixel art. its really time consuming, but i had fun doing it :D

deviantart
do people still make tags? lol

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: first ever pixel art

Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:26 pm
Turn off the auto Anti-aliasing in photoshop.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:10:48 pm
exDNA, I don't think that's real pixel art. It appears you rasterized an iso vantage point vector drawing in PS, with, like Souly brought out, anti-aliasing still checked. What's the total color count? If something like this was pixelled I'd say no more than 12-16 would be alright.

The AA is what gives it away, it not being manual. I'm guessing you did manually draw "NICCOLO'S", though, it's not AA'ed.

If it were pixelled I'd say that it's nice overall, yet a tad plain. Also, for a beginner starting out, doing iso may not be a good way to learn the intricacies of pixel art. Iso is bound by rules and regulations and I'd be afraid that would cap ones gamut of exploration into the artform itself.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:37:20 pm by Mathias »

Offline exDNA

• 187um
    • View Profile
    • deviantart

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:17:48 pm
it was all made by me. all the text, everything. when i make vectors and other graphic creations, i dont even bother messing around with AA. i didnt really know it made a difference.

but yea, i pentooled all of it, no premade shapes..
deviantart
do people still make tags? lol

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:01:59 pm
I think you're confused about the definition of pixel-art.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline robotwo

• Assembly~<3
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:09 am
Sure , it's isometric.
But look at it , it's a AntiAlias-fest. :D
if you can't keep away from Auto-AA , then use something which doesn't support it , like MSPaint  :)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:17:36 am
No its just not pixel art, If you're making art without total control of pixel placement you're at the wrong place. It's not the programs fault either..
Rule 3: Post only pixel art.

Now this is a bit of a controversial subject, but it hopefully can be cleared out at least so we can go on with our business here: Pixel Art, is art where there's specific attention paid to the fine manipulation of picture elements. It deals with the informative quality of specific, single pixels. If the art you're about to post has not been pixel-pushed on that level, don't bother. Automatic AA, soft brushes, filters, smudge tools, all are indicative of index-painting, or at least dirty-tooling, but do not always mean your art will not benefit from pixel-level critique. If you've made something using some of these tools and then you're able to reign the piece in by optimizing the palette into using the best possible amount of colors, went in and pushed single pixels until everything is right, then it's probable we'll be able to talk about your art and how it can be made better. Always be clear of how you made things, only post concept art when it's relative to a pixel-art piece you've made and never never try to decieve us. As above, workstages and process animations are optional, but always welcome.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 02:49:29 am
Plus, it has 5516 colours :D

Offline TonyB

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 03:07:41 am
I don't think he knows what you guys mean.

Anti-Aliasing is essentially like a kind of blurring device that softens edges to remove the "pixelated" look. If you've ever applied a pixel effect on your photos, you'd notice that the picture turns into an assembled bunch of colored squares. On a greater level --and more detailed so that it's actually "art"-- pixel art is a (time-consuming) process of creating "aliased" artwork.

How this "aliased" thing works is this: A usual little picture make take about 32 pixels high, 32 pixels wide. Imagine you're in MSPaint, disputedly the most accessible tool in pixel art development, and imagine you're setting the width and height of the canvas. There are no anti-aliasing programs in here (no auto-blur effect) that gives your pictures a pixellated feel. What you do is that you make a really small canvas, zoom in and draw a little picture out of pixels. Try a little man, or something, and then zoom out. When zoomed out, well-arranged pixels will work with each other to make a sprite or a piece of artwork.

tl;dr: Try making something in MSPaint or some other very basic program, since you're a beginner.

Lemme give you a list of keywords that people critique me with:

Palette - The number of types of colors used. Imagine all of the colors you used right next to each other. This is also a term for your color arrangement. You'll understand later.

Saturation - The contrast of the color. High-saturation colors are very bright. Most good works have slightly faded colors that are easy on the eyes. I can see the colors on the sign were done nicely, but the door can be less saturated. In you color palette, place the cursor in the "red" area and drag it a ways down to the gray area about half-way. There, you have a slightly faded color that doesn't strike against the other colors (Bright aqua and blinding lime green with painful bright purple and scorching hot pink. Yikes.)

Shine/Shade - Most good sprites can also have a light source. When brightening colors in lighter areas, turn up the contrast a bit and raise the "shade" of your color to a brighter look to make the shine appear significant. When adding shade to your character, lower the contrast (to make it less contrasting) and lower the shade of your color. Shadows can be anything, as long as it's dark enough to be seen.

Quality - The quality of the artwork refers to the restoration of your actual finish from the program's export. In other words, don't try to make a .gif out of MSPaint, for it will ruin your picture when it makes it. Quality normally doesn't describe talent.

Talent - The thing artists complain they don't have enough of.

+ Constructive Criticism - When someone says a good and a bad thing about your art and offers advice for fixing the bad.
- Unconstructive Criticism - When someone remarks about something bad about the art and offers no advice for it.
- Troll Crit - When someone says the entire picture is bad and refuses to explain why.

Always offer Construcocrits.

Offline robotwo

• Assembly~<3
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:41 pm
Sure , there's nothing wrong with AntiAlias , but sometimes it's obviously too much.  :)
I would have nothing against it even at this level , IF it was placed manually.
And as Jeremy stated , the colours aren't exactly optimal  ;D