AuthorTopic: young dino [pj weekly challenge]  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

young dino [pj weekly challenge]

on: January 22, 2009, 06:17:59 pm
hey all. i need some crit on this pixel art, which is for the OLD challenge on PJ. for those who don't know the rules, we are only allowed to use 3 colors, white, black and one color of own choice, to picture something old.

so, bring it on (;
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: young dino [pj weekly challenge]

Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:32 pm
I'd probably use the white for just the eye, teeth and claws.  I'm a n00b though.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:51:03 pm
hm.. i don't think that would be a so good idea, as i would then only have two colors for shading :) and much of the shading i have now wouldn't really work without the white. but thanks for the suggestion  ;D
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:04:36 pm
I like it, but it seems that the white is too bright.  It makes it look like it's covered in water and has shiny skin, but, hey, I'm a no0b too :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:15:04 pm by McClaneGames »

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:59 pm
I like it, but it seems that the white is too bright.

My thoughts exactly. 

It's almost like you need 3d glasses to view it correctly.

Here's a little edit with just the white on the teeth and eye.  I reshaped the head a bit.  It looks a little meaner now.  I'm sure you weren't going for mean, but that's just me...lol
I wish you luck in the challenge.

EDIT:  After the edit I realized this was probably a plant eating dinosuar.  No need for teeth like that...lol
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:05:37 pm by dpixel »

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:46:46 pm

tried to do what you said (: but dont really know what looks best, the original seems like it has more depth but on the other hand looks more plastic..

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:19:10 pm
The white only used in those areas draws too much attention to them in my opinion. Maybe still use whites for some highlights, but way way less, so it's not quite as slippery looking.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:15:27 pm
tried to do what you said (: but dont really know what looks best, the original seems like it has more depth but on the other hand looks more plastic..

The white is such a contrasting color.  Maybe pick another color...something more close to white so you could do some smoother blending.

I think the white just in the eye and teeth, etc. gives it more character...(more facial expression).  You might not want that.  It's all a matter of the style you're going for.

The white only used in those areas draws too much attention to them in my opinion. Maybe still use whites for some highlights, but way way less, so it's not quite as slippery looking.

I agree.  Just very small highlights with the white....like 3 or 4 pixels here and there.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:37:51 pm
tried changing the third color to something lighter. is this good, or would it be better to keep the original color and then make smaller white highlights? thanks for your critics all of you ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:13:54 pm by Panda »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:34 pm
Instead of using white as a highlight, why don't you use it to further its shape. Maybe add some scales too  ???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:41:20 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..