AuthorTopic: [RK] - Fighter Sprite WIP  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

[RK] - Fighter Sprite WIP

on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:37 pm
I am learning some things about anatomy so is this good so far?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:03:00 pm by Rollerkingdom »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: [RK] - Fighter Sprite WIP

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:37 pm
Stick figures don't really work so well with pixel art. I mean, look how big his shoes are, just because you're tracing over the stick figure with a new outline. Also, why are his legs so jaggy? Legs are only a few parts, upper leg, knees, and lower leg. On this, I can't tell what part is which. Nothing is really defined, it looks like a stick man trapped in a body bag.

Another big issue is his head. No one's face looks llike that. It's hard to tell if it's the right size or too small. Also, why is it perfectly symmetrical? It's too wide and should be taller instead.

I would say scrap the stickfigure/line art technique and start experimenting with the paintbrush, and define your forms from there. The guy is way too bulky so doing this will help practice contour, and forms.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:46:25 am
What? Stick figures are great for laying out proportions and pose. Obviously they are covered over by the final art, but they are a perfect way to get the pose balanced and proportioned correctly.

As for the piece posted, not bad. The upper body seems good, but the legs need some work. They don't feel balanced, and the guy looks kind of like he is sitting down. All of the stick figure lines look shakey, try using the line tool for each segment of the limbs (not the spine). On the outline, the legs are too big and lack definite shape. If you were trying to make pants, then I suggest at least getting the general shape of the underlying form first, then drawing the clothes on top. Look again at anatomy reference material, and see how each segment of the body is shaped. For instance, the calf muscle gives the upper part of the calf some bulk, that tapers off into the ankle. Right now, your legs are just blobby, and drawn without consideration of what a leg actually looks like.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:57:23 am
Don't fall into bad habits, stick figures don't convey anatomy correctly and it teaches you nothing.

If you're worried about posture stop complicating things and whip out paper and a pencil and experiment, did they not teach you anything in art class. There's almost 7 billion humans on the earth today, fk stickmen and use some common sense.

:D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:14:22 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:13:40 am
Really? I always thought the creating a rough sketch of just a stick figure (with shoulders and joints and such) was the best way to get your final form right, and be proportioned right. Sure they don't convey anatomy, but they convey proportion and such. Then you apply anatomy knowledge when you draw the actual form.

I've never taken an art class, or even been around artists (apart from on this forum), so my knowledge is infantile. However, from some of the books I've read, and artists I've watched draw, they seem to have some method of getting the proportions and posture right before drawing the actual figure. I've seen some draw rudimentary shapes like cylinders and blocks, then draw the actual anatomical details on top of it.

I'm curious about your method, and the "correct" method (if there is one) on how to draw the human figure. Do you just envision the form and start drawing a very detailed line until you have a person? Or do you have some method of drawing a crude figure then refining it?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:25:24 am
I personally try and soak in as much as I can from around me, the more you sketch, the more you become familiar with the human form the more you can adapt and use what you know to draft ideas. For more indepth anatomy you obviously need to comit to knowing some greater details about human anatomy but for the sake of starting an idea I wouldn't rely on stick figures to guesstimate a figure unless your already comfortable enough to know what you're doing.

Just a couple of seconds google searching.
http://www.peonystudio.co.uk/bodyweb/human-movement.jpg

Loose and rough sketches of human movement, may not be refined but hovers at a good level of naturalism. Something that can only be captured with some good old fasioned eyesight.

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:29:00 am
I personally try and soak in as much as I can from around me, the more you sketch, the more you become familiar with the human form the more you can adapt and use what you know to draft ideas. For more indepth anatomy you obviously need to comit to knowing some greater details about human anatomy but for the sake of starting an idea I wouldn't rely on stick figures to guesstimate a figure unless your already comfortable enough to know what you're doing.

Just a couple of seconds google searching.
http://www.peonystudio.co.uk/bodyweb/human-movement.jpg

Loose and rough sketches of human movement, may not be refined but hovers at a good level of naturalism. Something that can only be captured with some good old fasioned eyesight.

These are nice sketches which you can define the poses.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:06:42 am
It's insane to explore poses and forms with trying to draw little tiny pixel art lines. Get out that paper and pencil, man! Go to town! Then scan it in and pixelization it like crayzeh. Or, you can do it calmly. But either way, mind your methods. Think about what you're doing, try new stuff.