AuthorTopic: Gates of Dimensions  (Read 8768 times)

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Gates of Dimensions

on: January 17, 2009, 11:08:07 pm
Hello Pixelation  :)

I've started today to make a new sidescrolling game here's what i've got so far:

i'll be using my own palette:

Currently i just don't know how to make the ground beter so i'd be glad to get some c&c  :)

Items:

Health ->
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:05:26 pm by Batlorder »

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: Game Mockup [W.I.P]

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:47:55 pm
Added "health" item animation to first post and edited the main character and some other stuff. Btw. i forgot to say before that the tile size is 32, 32 px. Also some help with the rocks would still be nice  ;)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:06:41 pm
Is this just a practice mockup or will this thing really be coded?

Where did the palette come from?

Is the drainage pipe creating that whole waterfall?

The sky is distracting to me - odd color, too light, the skyline/horizon against sky creates too much contrast.

Are you following NES display restrictions or something? Your ground tiles, especially the dirt could perhaps use some enrichment, like a highlight color and/or some AA.

The user character seems rather generic, lacking individuality. All that metallic armor, I'd like to see him walk that tight-rope. Also, his grey form gets lost against that grey background.

I hope those points help you think more into your design.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:47 pm
the update on the character is not for the better - the simple finish that he has in the first frame is cheap, but at least it reads well.  the new one on the other hand is just noisy and unintelligible texturing which i highly recommend reconsidering.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:29:56 pm
Is this just a practice mockup or will this thing really be coded?
Don't know yet how it will end up  :)
Where did the palette come from?
Oh crap... i've must be tired or something when i wrote the first post so it's just some nes palette what i copied from somewhere.
Jeah it's supposed to. But of course it's far a way
The sky is distracting to me - odd color, too light, the skyline/horizon against sky creates too much contrast.
I haven't worked with the sky and with the health and ammo bar yet  :durr:
Are you following NES display restrictions or something? Your ground tiles, especially the dirt could perhaps use some enrichment, like a highlight color and/or some AA.
No. But the AA with the dirt sounds cool  8)
The user character seems rather generic, lacking individuality. All that metallic armor, I'd like to see him walk that tight-rope. Also, his grey form gets lost against that grey background.
I think i'll redo the character and change the idle perspective to sideview like in Blackthorne http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/56/Blackthorne_1.png (must say that blackthorne is the best snes game ever  ;D)
I hope those points help you think more into your design.
Definitely
the update on the character is not for the better - the simple finish that he has in the first frame is cheap, but at least it reads well.  the new one on the other hand is just noisy and unintelligible texturing which i highly recommend reconsidering.
I think your right with that i'll try to remove those noisy things and change the perspective  :)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:55 am
Actually it would be far away if you'd used the appropriate visual cues. Currently it's quite close.
An edit to demonstrate:

As for the ground, the grass could do with a little more definition, perhaps some trim; here's an example edit:

The dirt -- do you have the option of a more muted highlight color? if the bright color were less bright, the dirt tiles would work pretty well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:16:47 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:01:13 am
My opinion:
It looks great.
But, the character blends into the background, so its kind of hard to focus on him. Make him more colorful.
Its looks like your trying too hard on the hero dude, at least compared to everything else. Keep it simple stupid.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:00 pm
Actually it would be far away if you'd used the appropriate visual cues. Currently it's quite close.
An edit to demonstrate:

As for the ground, the grass could do with a little more definition, perhaps some trim; here's an example edit:

The dirt -- do you have the option of a more muted highlight color? if the bright color were less bright, the dirt tiles would work pretty well.

thanks for the edit i'll be working on the grass.

I've been working with the guy and made an introduction statue meanwhile (any critique on it  ???)

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 04:39:29 pm
finally i got some time to do this so here's the main character  >:(

i used that black thorne screenshot as for reference but anyway i hope it's ready to animate  :)

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 07:10:31 pm
Huh  ??? anyone hasn't given any c&c  :-\
But anyway made the hero/maincharacter front view  :hehe:

also made a walking cycle:

I'm not good with animations so i may need much help and c&c with little things  ;D

Here's a little list of animations i must do:
1. walking
2. running
3. climbing
4. jump
5. jump (while running)
6. kick/hit

those are the basic moves so there will be shooting animations