AuthorTopic: Gates of Dimensions  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: Game Mockup [W.I.P]

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 07:40:28 pm
remember to lift and plant your feet in the walking animation ;)

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: Game Mockup [W.I.P]

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:46:47 pm
remember to lift and plant your feet in the walking animation ;)

oh... i've must be tired or something  :) now when i look the anim it looks like moowalking  ;D gotta raise the legs more thought

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: Gates of Dimensions

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:18 pm
I've been working with this and made my own palette, cause i wasn't happy with nes palette colors  :). I may still add some colors to this current palette:

And here's the status of the current mockup:
I will add some more trees so don't worry about the background  :). (haven't worked much on it yet)

Also notice that i've changed the topic/game name to Gates of Dimensions  :) you people of pixelation can give some better name ideas  ;D

Later when i've done with the animations i could make an game simulation (maybe) out of this now and post it out here what do you say  :)

But back to the topic i need much help with that tree so C&C is very welcome  :D oh... and btw. that's mine first tree ever done thought  ;D

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:44 pm
If you're going to make your own palette you should really try to have the colors work well together.
Mine <-> yours

I desaturated a lot of things. almost all your colors were at full chroma. You need to take that edge off of most of the colors. I didn't add any new colors, just played with yours.
One thing you might want to keep in mind with your use of color is, in video games at least, color is representative of things. I don't just mean red is angry and yellow is happy, I mean BRIGHT/VIBRANT colors are noticed before dull ones. It's just how our brains work. I personally try to keep path ways BRIGHT/VIBRANT relative to the rest of the game. That's a rule of thumb I like to use from what I've seen in many video games.
Dark or Dull colors aren't noticed as soon the bright ones. That's why in a lot of video games you'll notice the backgrounds aren't as bright or vibrant. They're usually grayed out a bit or darker. Also thanks to atmospheric perspective details get lost in "fog".

I think you should look at a few more trees. In my experience there are few trees I'm taller than or close to height in. Most branches capable of holding my weight (120 lbs) are within jumping reach. Sorry I made a lollipop tree.
Hope you can find somethings you like in that edit. If not then you should ask a few more questions.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 11:00:39 pm
I really don't think the oblique projection 3D effect on the HUD works at all, just looks cheesy.

Thick lawn growing up a vertical cliff face?

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 09:00:27 pm
Wow ;D never thought someone would make an edit so thanks JonathanOfDrain, and surt i think i'll redo the whole HUD again :lol:
Today i made completely new tree trunk and think it's way better even now  :)

Still it would be nice to get some more C&C  :) (Darn... i hate making these trees don't you?)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:12 am
You should really change those colors. Remember, trees aren't actually brown. Not that brown at least. They're really more of a greyish color. I think you should concentrate more on the colors than the trees. Trees are only a part of the game and the colors are everywhere.

Offline aregon810

• Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:34:23 am
the tree should be a litle bit smaller and at the end turn in a little bigger

i suggested you also some colours witch i also used some time ago while i was bussy with a tree
try experiment with it.

this topic might help you while buzzy on the tree.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7383.0
^some realy good crits there