AuthorTopic: New avatar (Walk cycle animation)  (Read 4636 times)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

New avatar (Walk cycle animation)

on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:12 pm

OK i scrapped the other 2 avatars i was making, and became a bit adventurous.  I have here now a cute badass dude (that is me) in a walk cycle...my first attempts at animation. Any comments/critique welcome. Worked really really hard on this. Ignore the muscular 'deformations' there and there in some of the frames for now, will work on that in time, just want to know where in the animatio i have failed bso i can tweak it before i get started. ndchristie where are u :p

Thanks a lot in advance
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:00:07 pm by hotnikkelz »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Sprite avatar

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:56:46 am
The left hand gets lost among all the other blues around it.

And this might just be my opinion, but I think it might be better for you to figure out what you want to animate before you go into such detail.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite avatar

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:02:36 am
I agree, before you get to a finished level of detail, you better think it out first. Not doing so is a great way to work yourself into a dead-end, wasting a lot of time. Always a danger when you have no direction startin' something.

The sitting guy could levitate in the lotus position, eyes glow, disappear/reappear/teleport. Though, I'm not real fond of the colors.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: New avatar (Walk cycle animation)

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:23:25 pm
It would look interesting if he was pulling something heavy.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:09:07 pm
The arms seem to bend foreward in front of the body before going back again, which is illogical as he's putting his hands in front of his torso, in the way of the path back, AND it seems to be the only thing happening that frame; as if all the other parts of the body stopped moving just to move that arm!

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:43 pm
The arms seem to bend foreward in front of the body before going back again, which is illogical as he's putting his hands in front of his torso, in the way of the path back, AND it seems to be the only thing happening that frame; as if all the other parts of the body stopped moving just to move that arm!

Got that part about the arm being in front...that will be adjusted thanks...however that's not the only thing happening in that frame.  Did you view the frames individually? or that's just how it looks from your perspective?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:11 pm
It is how it looks, I know there's other movement in the rest of the body, but the arm movement is larger than the previous arm movement, and it appears to me that the other movements are also smaller, resulting in a huge gap of motion there; that's just my interpretation though, I indeed did not view frames individually

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 02:56:30 am
hmmm well it's the 'look' that really matters. I'd see what i could do...I think i'm gonna change it up a bit...cuz as dpixels says it needs to be more interesting. Stay tuned for an edit later this week.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 03:47:31 am
I think this is pretty good. The legs and body seem to be moving correctly, you just have the arms bending and straightening at random times. Think of the logic of moving with bent arms, get up and try it. Usually, the arm is either swinging straight, and just bend a little, or it remains bent through the entire swing. For a serious walk, the arm would remain at a roughly 90 degree angle the entire time, and would not straighten out completly.

I drew a new arm in this edit, and you can see it is  (sort of) moving on a pendulum. Mine looks a bit mechanical but you can see my meaning, hopefully. The arm remains bent the entire time, and slows at the peak, then moves quickly past the body towards another peak.