AuthorTopic: Self Portrait  (Read 8942 times)

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Re: Self Portrait

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:39:08 pm
Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure I was just overeager when making the mouth, and I'll work the face as you suggested.  :)

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:59:29 pm

Update! Hopefully an improvement, as well. The eyes are horrible, and I'm not quite sure how to do them, but I think I'll be able to figure it out. After a bit more touching up on the face, I'll move on to the hair (assuming there are no major issues with the face).

Thanks for the help!  :)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:04 am
i think working on highlights then, add these crits on the way,

look at terleys edit, follow it like a reference, then add a thumbnail next to it so maybe you will on a mistake terley made (unlikely but might happen).
your nose id overdefined, simplify it, follow your references, more often (maybe) than the actual amount of time on the image.
again with the eyes, overdone, keep it close, dont just put them there coz it looks right, check your reference.
and mouth yady yady yada, you get the point

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 12:50:28 am

'Nother update! I'm slowly making progress. Maybe I'll be done by July.  :P

The eyes are still giving me trouble, but I'm working on it.

Thanks for the help :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:35 am
Go back to the last pair of eyes, they reflected how you look much better!
' _ '

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 02:00:12 am

Edit #...whatever I'm at.

Honestly, I didn't think my previous eyes were very good at all. Not that any of my eyes so far have been very good :P

Redid the eyebrows, worked more on the eyes, messed around with some colours, etc.

Hopefully I'm improving. xD

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:18:11 am

Edit'd!  :) Getting closer to the point where I have to start the hair. -Shudder-

I'm liking how it looks, though.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 12:52:30 am
Hey Cakster,

It seems to be coming along well. I made a few edits to help with what I feel are the main issues:

- Messed with colors to try and achieve more contrast

- Played with the mouth so it didn't look like a big black line across the face. If you're having trouble rendering the mouth, try and think about how light would hit each lip. With light above, the top lip will be in shadow, and the bottom lip will receive light, and because of the moisture will reflect it well.

- Changed the nose. Right now it looks like a snake nose, because there is little contrast around the nose to suggest it pops out, and the nostrils you drew are too prominent and slit like. I just put some pixels around it to suggest it's shape, and changed the highlight, and god rid of the very dark pixels at the nostrils. The color edit helped it a lot too.

- Altered your eyes. I do not feel I did a satisfactory job on the eyes, but perhaps you can see the problem with them and fix them. Yours seem a bit too small and beady. Also, you look very surprised because it appears the entire pupil is visible. The eyelid should cover part of it, for a neutral look. I think I made the eyes in this edit too dewy.

- Altered the eyebrows. Yours are of medium thickness, and slanted up towards the outside. The ones in yours seem a bit too thick and close together.

Hope some of this helps

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 04:00:14 am

Update! Sorry for the 6-day wait!

Thanks for the edit, NaCl!

I think that I made good progress with this latest update. I also made a stab at the hair, but I don't think I have the colours down yet.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 04:28:01 am
I think you need to make yourself a bit older, going by this you look much younger than your photo. A slight more definition with your jaw maybe? And I think it's time you had some ears  :P
I've not got anything interesting to type here..