AuthorTopic: Portrait [WIP]  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Portrait [WIP]

Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:26 pm
Hey there....you were saying that your Lizard was "too realistic" for the rest but I dont think so, I think it's just too plain, no dramatic angles or lighting as opposed to the other portraits

I think just giving him a simple gesture would sort of step him up to the level of the rest.

I thought he looked sort of strict and demeaning, I kinda see him as some Reptile Nazi-ish soldier....so I gave him a fist like he's about to smack you for being such a pathetic soft skinned human :p hope it's of any use at all

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:25 pm
I think the main reason it contrasts sharply with the other art is because this portrait is pixel and the others are digital paintings. It's obviously that there is much more control involved with the former, while the latter remain more gestural.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 05:42:56 am
Took a bit of a break but I'm back at it.

Almost done I think.

I changed the pose a bit since the original was a bit boring.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 05:52:56 am
Hey EvilEye,

I think you fixed the eye problem I mentioned. I made them level because I didn't think I could capture that very slight tilt and still make the face look correct, but you seem to have done it. Keep up the good work.

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 08:12:04 am
Ya, that's a tricky angle :yell:

Quote from: eobet
I would at least redraw the cape of the hero character, if not the entire character. I'm sorry, but he's just not up to par with the rest, in my eyes.

:blind: I thought the cape was pretty good myself.

Quote from: Conceit
Hey there....you were saying that your Lizard was "too realistic" for the rest but I dont think so, I think it's just too plain, no dramatic angles or lighting as opposed to the other portraits

I think just giving him a simple gesture would sort of step him up to the level of the rest.

The backhand is an interesting idea.

Maybe for another character.

*UPDATE*

Sketch for battle pose:

*UPDATE*

Woops! Forgot to post the lines. Here they are, colored.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:50:06 pm by EvilEye »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 10:15:18 pm
The other portraits look painted, whilst the lizardude's portrait looks a lot more.. pixely. All the detail and attention to pixels (Thin lines and outlines and such bring them out) seem to differ from the rest of the portraits style. They seem to rely more on shading and coloring, with thick black outlines.
It's almost as if 2 different people drew the portraits.

But they look good, nonetheless.

I really like the sorcerer, good pose, as well.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 10:29:18 pm
The other portraits look painted, whilst the lizardude's portrait looks a lot more.. pixely. All the detail and attention to pixels (Thin lines and outlines and such bring them out) seem to differ from the rest of the portraits style. They seem to rely more on shading and coloring, with thick black outlines.
It's almost as if 2 different people drew the portraits.
I think it was Helm that told me I should be able to pixel as fast as I could paint and shrink, so I will put it to the test :lol:

I'd say the problem with the lizard-man is he doesn't look like a lizard-man. He looks to me much more like a stone golem or like a dude with some skin disorder. To convince me of lizardliness he'd really need at least some reptilian anatomy beyond skin colour/texture. Remove the ears, extend the corners of the mouth back, shallow the nose, give him a touch of a maw, etc.

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 12:51:01 am
Update.

And here's a ScreenShot from the game engine:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:07:20 am by EvilEye »