AuthorTopic: Feature 07 - Savage World (artistic nudity)  (Read 124064 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Savage World (artistic nudity)

Reply #90 on: March 07, 2009, 05:25:24 am
Good lord, this is so cool. I be lovin' it. The new rocks are great, you simplified them. They're much stronger now. I can't beleive how much you scaled back the HUD, that's nuts. That poor eagle shouldn't be able to fly, gold is pretty heavy stuff ya know. Eh, it's a game, screw physics, right?

Awesome.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #91 on: March 07, 2009, 06:24:10 am

More eagle edits... added a back leg like Andrew's has. Also melded in some of the blues to make the armor look more metal-like.

As much as I love the armor on Andrew's eagle, I'm leaning towards mine. His armor is more unified with the bird itself, which would normally be a good thing, except I feel like it softens the impact of *EAGLE*ARMOR*. I don't know if this makes any sense; it's hard to explain my gut instinct.

To do: gonna add another platform, some items, and some rocks/ruins in the background of the ground tile layer. Then, step 3: profit!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:26:51 am by big brother »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #92 on: March 07, 2009, 11:57:52 am
The tileset is quite nicely done, but I find the fact that the walkable ground is about the darkest element rather confusing and unlogical. I reather liked the bright yellow shift at the top before, and actually find it a bity that you removed it. Great work on the rest though, it now has a lot more the feeling of depth. Are you by the way planning to or going to make the exact game world in the end? Or will it get your own twist?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #93 on: March 07, 2009, 02:46:30 pm
1000 times more lovely now. This is coming along brilliantly. I totally want to program this game.

I think the rocks are still a tiny bit cardboard, gonna do a small edit later. Much better than before though.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #94 on: March 07, 2009, 05:51:52 pm
How is the walkable ground the darkest element? If I arrange the tile palette into a ramp sorted by value, the browns are mid-range. Also, the step jumps between shades are more gradual than the green, making it fairly low contrast. In addition, the red-brown makes the green seem more vibrant (as a complementary color) without it being saturated. As a color choice, I find it easier to defend than the yellow (which was fairly integrated with the colors from the rocks, making it harder to read).

I will look forward to seeing the edit on making the rocks look less cardboard. I'm fairly sick of drawing them by now. :)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #95 on: March 08, 2009, 12:01:28 am
The problem I see with the eagle armor is that it looks more comical than badass. Even if there should be that comical aspect to it (because, c'mon, it's an eagle wearing armor) it looks too disconnected from the eagle's body, like it's dangling from strings. If the armor conformed more closely to the eagle's body, I think it would make a lot more sense and also look more intimidating.

I also have an issue with the brown walkable ground, but for a different reason; it looks like soil! The cliff is made of solid rock! Very unnatural....

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:08 am
I also find your version of the armor goofy. DarkFalzX's version is an order of magnitude cooler. It looks like an eagle dressed himself in armor and is out for blood. Yours, on the other hand looks like some kids strapped metal on an eagle for shits and giggles. Also, the blue mixed with gold doesn't jive aesthetically. Either make it look like gold, or make it look like silver. This mish-mash doesn't work.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but it's only because I care.  :-*

I don't have a problem with the soil, but it looks like someone left footsteps in the mud!

I very much like how the latest version of the rocks are a blend of organic and architectural shapes. That may be a theme worth utilizing throughout the game.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #97 on: March 10, 2009, 07:34:16 am
On some level, everything that's the "draw attention to itself" badass is also goofy. Look no further than the WWE, "300", any Arnold movie, and come to think about it, most action movies. :)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #98 on: March 10, 2009, 08:56:09 am
True, but like I said: dangling from strings.

The "goofiness" isn't the issue, it just looks like (on the eagle's behalf) he's doing a very half-assed job of protecting himself! I get the impression that the comical effect you want stems from the ridiculousness and ostentatiousness of the execution. IMO, right now it just looks too... weak.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:01:40 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #99 on: March 11, 2009, 01:13:20 am
The rock conveys depth far better :)
I however disagree with DarkFalzX's edit, as bigbrother's is far more functional (it's more a weapon than a protection imo).
It's looking great otherwise :)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!