AuthorTopic: Feature 07 - Savage World (artistic nudity)  (Read 124095 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Savage World (artistic nudity)

Reply #80 on: March 05, 2009, 02:35:21 pm
First of all this is a massive improvement! Second, I think the "flat" cliffs are okay since this is a platform game. I'd consider adding more background/negative space elements to the tiles as well if you weren't planning on doing that already.

Quick sucky example because I don't know how to describe it properly:

This would add some nice aesthetics but you also want this kind of thing for gameplay reasons; you can use these noninteractive bits of background to guide the player towards platforms that may be hidden or offscreen. A lot of SNES/Genesis games did this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:42:26 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #81 on: March 05, 2009, 02:39:20 pm
Nice tiles, lots of good critique already given, particularly gil's.

One thought, is i think you should raise the backdrop about 50px or so to try and match the camera angle..

Also, just messed with the palette a bit;

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:52:03 pm by Feron »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: March 05, 2009, 03:23:21 pm
I agree with ben2theedge's edit and I think the heads would look a lot better if you made them darker and then added a glow from the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:27:38 pm by EvilEye »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #83 on: March 05, 2009, 06:01:00 pm
Thanks again for the feedback and edits. I will consider these when I enter round three of the rock drawing. Ben, I do play on putting the ground bg layer in, but I want to make these tiles first. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mistajaye. I am grateful for the help I'm getting here, and I much prefer the direction this mockup is moving compared to how it was before. It looks more playable and appealing in all aspects to me.

I'm going to scrap the tiles and start over. The fiddly detail direction  was a poor one; I want to portray epic masses of hewn rock.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #84 on: March 05, 2009, 07:11:46 pm
That does seem for the best. While the detail is astounding, it's a bitch to get the whole volume down.

May I suggest a more polygonal approach? Approach the whole volume of the rock as a lowpoly model, then shade accordingly until it looks like a believable volumetric shape. Add in details after this step.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #85 on: March 05, 2009, 10:11:48 pm
This is looking great!

I did this because the part underneath the path looked like it was all on the same level and quite flat, and in front of the path (layer-wise). My edit is sloppy and very quickly done, but I hope you understand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:13:19 pm by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: March 05, 2009, 11:02:15 pm

Here i've been building on to Feron's edit, I like how the colours come off the screen in it; although such a palette should probably be reserved for a later level, and the current one is close to perfect as for what kind of environment you're situated in now. It's kind of to get an idea how you can continue building onto this without wasting all the detail. I've now done it very cheaply with the palette of the full image, but if you take the tiles into some decent software you can take a brush that just shifts the colour up or down the palette once by luminance to get the same effect without a huge amount of manual (re)working.

For now it's quite rough and nasty, but with some polishing and highlights it can get quite dynamic.

Also I've been doing some adjustment to the player character. In the earlier versions it had this huge chest and a golden piece in the middle separating two halves of armour. I liked that element, and tried to squeeze it back in a bit. You can see what you take from it :P I juts did it for my own liking I guess.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #87 on: March 07, 2009, 01:39:41 am
I haven't been here in a while, but this thread is just plain wonderful.  Pixelation at its best!  Great artists made greater through good attitudes and awesome suggestions.

Sorry about that, but this thread definitely made my day :)

THAT SAID...big brother, your eagle just looks lame to me still.  He looks like his legs attach to his butt, like a human, when they really attach to the eagle's sides, like a dinosaur (on account of BEING A DINOSAUR).  I would check out refs of Golden Eagles instead of Bald Eagles, since Golden Eagles are more awesomer.  Here are some studies I did, I don't know if they help or not.  Note the dinosaurness!

Anyways, that's my only gripe.  Looks ridiculously awesome otherwise, especially with the backing color behind the score.

EDIT - I take that back, I think the woman's left arm is a tad thin, and that her left lag dangles down a smidge too far, she looks a little offbalance to me, and the division between her left buttock and her left thigh is distracting.

Great job!!  I want to play this so bad it hurts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:41:41 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #88 on: March 07, 2009, 03:38:43 am
Thanks for the crits, though I hardly think Golden Eagles are awesomer. Besides, Bald Eagles have that two-tone thing going on, which can make them pop more as a sprite.

I redrew the rocks to make them look more massive and less fiddly. The "rocka-fellers" blend into the stone more, keeping the focus on the gameplay. Rocka-fellers? GET IT??? I crack me up so hard I shit my pants.
On Andrew's suggestion, I added armor to the eagle, because armor is badass.
I also did super minor edits to the girl statue element. Basically, I'm in love with her, so I don't want to change her too much.

Trevorius: I like the golden piece in the middle, too. I'm afraid it interferes a bit on the small scale of the sprite. I'll definitely include it on the closeup figure of the barbarian in the inventory screen.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:52:30 am by big brother »

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:26 am
Awesome new tileset! Completely unexpected and extraordinarily stylized - totally you man! When I said "eagle armor" I ment more along the lines of this though: