AuthorTopic: Feature 07 - Savage World (artistic nudity)  (Read 124099 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Savage World (artistic nudity)

Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 06:02:59 am
Gil's edit is quite nice and once put into affect, I believe resolves the tiles. I personally find them beautiful and do exactly what they are supposed to do- to represent a solid platform that the player can stand on. Sometimes getting into "real world" things hinders game art by asking questions that no gamer would notice anyway. We're faking a world other than our own, and using false perspectives that could never exist, so why does it matter?

edit: however, priority is definitely something that we must abide to in game art. I believe that the heads in the rocks have too much focus to be safe. it can be argued that the figure will be moving which deems fixing the heads unnecessary, but I know that I would personally knock them back a bit. Right now they are bigger than the player, and have the same, if not more amount of contrast. At first I thought it was some sort of hud element because it stuck out so much. We all know that you can do pretty pixels, this is exemplified by the BEAUTIFUL background, but you just have to worry about making good game art.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:07:58 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 06:36:33 am
I have been pondering the heads too and my conclusion is that they do need to be taken back, but for different reasons than Ryumaru.

Bascically, their heightened visibility detaches them from the rocky cliff. You need to bring them back into the cliff by using less of the yellow highlights. As a result, you will also achieve what Ryumaru wants, meaning less attention drawing. I don't think it would have been a problem here once everything is in motion, but you never know.

Okay, side by side comparison with the edit:

I also did a small HUD edit to show you that the two parts of HUD need to visually connect eventually, or it'll seem like you're just clipping off corners with ornate art. Try to focus on the visual impact of the composition containing the black. It should read better. I'm not saying however that you need a thick black border. Other ways to pull the two HUD pieces together can be found...

http://www.game-designer.org/art/pixelart/edit/bb_savage_newhud4c-3.png
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:45:11 am by Gil »

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:52 am
I disagree, dulling the colors in my opinion dulls the graphics that he originally created. I think his work is vibrant the way it is and needs not to be adjusted. Keep doing what your doing bro, your game is coming together beautifully. Half of these crits people are making are pretty petty lol, and to be honest this doesn't help your progress what-so-ever. In my opinion your style is remarkable. I totally dig what your trying to portray. If you need any ideas for baddies, let me know. I've got a ton of ideas for you for that particular type of game. ^_^

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 07:15:17 am
Mistajaye, the excellent critique in this thread has lead him to progress from a very disjointed design into a more and more epic piece of art. Consider the following two mockups:

Now tell me that our "crits are pretty petty lol".

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 07:16:31 am
Perhaps if this were a stand-alone art piece (which is what we see currently), I would agree with you Mistajaye, but in terms of game development, you have to think a little differently. There are certain elements you want to appeal to the viewer, and others not as much, they could potentially distract them from what they are meant to be focusing on, and compete for it's attention. Note that making something less appealing doesn't have to mean making it look less pretty. There are certain techniques used and shown here to create contrast and put the focus on what it was meant to be on. I as well agree with the above posts concerning the visibility of the heads in the cliff.

And to say some people's crits, especially if they weren't even for you in the first place, is in my opinion a bit rude and disrespectful.. No one is making them take their time and share their opinions and knowledge to try and help.
And no one is obligated to write a 5-paragraph easy explaining everything they could possibly see and think of after analyzing the picture for 2 hours, either. People do it because they want to help. I won't drag that on any further though, although I would have more to say.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:18:13 am by Dr D »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:28 am
I must say that the original(new) cliffs of BB, with the flatness, made me focus primarily on the walkable platform itself rather than the cliffs as a whole.
While the cliffs might suffer, isn't this a good thing when you're working on a platformer?

I agree about the heads, though.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 08:41:14 am
I love Gil's edit except for the changes to the actual shape of the cliff. I think the original silhouette was much better and seemingly more geologically plausible.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: March 05, 2009, 10:55:49 am
I must say that the original(new) cliffs of BB, with the flatness, made me focus primarily on the walkable platform itself rather than the cliffs as a whole.
While the cliffs might suffer, isn't this a good thing when you're working on a platformer?

As long as you easily separate which planes are possible to stand on and what aren't, I don't see why one should emphasize the actual platform. I think the value difference between the platform and the cliffs is really enough to avoid confusing planes. Also remember that when you play the game, your eye focuses pretty much automatically to the plane where you see the character move and you sort of stop observing the background graphics, so I see no problem with the platform as it is now.

The newest version is way better and more appealing visually in all aspects than the previous one and I think it is really polished and final quality piece. Good job and nice progress! I'd almost like to see this one featured.
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 11:36:43 am
I disagree, dulling the colors in my opinion dulls the graphics that he originally created. I think his work is vibrant the way it is and needs not to be adjusted. Keep doing what your doing bro, your game is coming together beautifully. Half of these crits people are making are pretty petty lol, and to be honest this doesn't help your progress what-so-ever. In my opinion your style is remarkable. I totally dig what your trying to portray. If you need any ideas for baddies, let me know. I've got a ton of ideas for you for that particular type of game. ^_^

Dude, no need for white-knighting when the person making the art in the thread is not even protesting against the critique he gets, ok?

I know you think you're doing something good in voicing your appreciation of his art (you are), but what I don't know if you realize is that you insult the people who take time off their hands to help big brother's art improve by saying they don't help his progress what-so-ever. It's not nice, ok? (it's mean)

No more posts like this, please. Although please keep the supportive happy attitude : D heh

(any post replying to this post/regarding this matter will be promptly deleted, PM me if you've got something on your mind (: )
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:41:40 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:41 pm
The heads could be done more subtle to keep focus on the 'interactive area', being the walkable part. You currently have clear destinction between object en background, but it's still a bit messy and distracting because some non-walkable parts (being theh heads right now), are too bright. I don't think it will cause confusion at this level, but it may be something you need to pay attention to in the future while making more parts of the world.

Now I do like Gil's edit because it adds more depth to the scene, but I do not think you should stick this to only the right side of the cliff (for whenever you will make a left side as well). This is because if you are going to add perspective by adding depth only on one side, you can no longer flip your sprites without them looking off. There should be a dark border as the cliff doesn't end straight away, even without a slight angle in the camera it would lack the existance of a side to it, so do add it, but I suggest not doing it to add a changeo f perspective, but just depth.

Great work, I loved the game, and hope you actually finish it as a whole and not just a (ew) mockup(s) ;) I'm looking foreward to seeing more.