AuthorTopic: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)  (Read 12766 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 06:06:35 am
I think he is pointing it at the player, or the character, and the player is just in first person perspective.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 07:46:33 pm
Yeah that's right, he's pointing at the player/someone would be looking right at him. I don't think the stance is really a problem here.

Dunno what else to do with this, it's lookin pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:52:31 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 12:24:38 pm
you say you want to bring up the highlights dramatically, so do so, use those light colors from your edited palette to your advantage they're there use them

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:20 am
Hey guys I know this is an old as thread but I finally came back to this. Added some text, I just want some last minute comments on the text, perspective, shading etc. before I submit it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:46 am
The shape of the "S" just isn't cutting it for me. It looks very hand drawn, as opposed to the other characters in the text being very roman. Also, the first three letters have no shadow, while the U is almost completely shadow and the S partly. It really drags down readability. I wouldn't make the bridges of the N's solid either.

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 05:11:53 am
I'll give you some comments on the creature, if you allow me: to me, the barrel looks too flat. If you notice, in the picture you posted earlier (wherein you hold the weapon), the end of the barrel is almost white when compared to the rest of the image. It's also somewhat blurred, which gives the illusion of tri-dimensionality (I'm probably wrong, but I suppose Velázquez was the one that did this). Also, the head seems to be a little too big in proportion with the torso, but then again, in human standards. Is the body in front view or more in 3/4ths view? Its (or his) left metal shoulder-blade seems irregularly bigger than this right one, unless it's the original intent. Perhaps you could also play around with the pallette to make it less monochromatic? Good work, regardless :)

Edit: now that I look at it again, it seems that the head is all right. Maybe the neck is too long, or the head-features altogether make me uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:21:02 am by Alonso »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:30 pm
Thanks for the crits guys, I'll try to cook up an edit. Lemme address some issues:

I'll redo the letters to make them have no shadows, and the inbetween lines on all lines within the letter.
That's not me in the ref pic.
I see what you mean about the head/neck/torso. I think I will make the neck a little shorter and try to beef up his torso. Even though he is an alien he still has relatively human proportions. I don't want to mess with the face, because I rather like how it came out.
The thing about the difference in the should blades, is that one side is a rocket-launcher, and the other side is just a normal part of the armor.
About the colors, I like the monochromatics of it because it brings out an oldschool feel, but I am open for suggestions. Just as a note, Lennus, the creature, is brown, and his armor is olive grey, and the rocket is purple.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 11:41:06 pm
This piece lacks a lot of polish to call it done imo. Right now it's very sketchy/oekaki in nature. I don't see this as pixel art, since it's to far from being pixel perfect. On most parts I can literally see the brush strokes in their unrefined form.

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 12:30:18 am
Well, first of all, this image needs to be refined. Thats really your biggest problem from what I can tell. You got to put in that pixel level detail for it to really come together otherwise, like Gil said, its not going to be finished.

Another thing- you got to show part of the arm as to not confuse the viewer. Otherwise its just going to look like a floating circle. Also, the gun needs to look more metallic. Heres a rough edit to illustrate what I mean:

You don't necessarily have to show the top part of the arm like I've done, it'll work just as well if you show the bottom.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:24 pm
Here is an edit, based on yours:

I tried to get into the face to make it less sketchy, but for the body and stuff it's still really messy because it's not final I'm going back in and changing the forms a bit to get the perspective right.

While I agree that I need to go in and really smoothen it out, I don't think it's fair to not call it "pixel art." And really I don't like the pretentious ideals of the phrase that this site supposedly keeps in order. Just because something is messy in style doesn't mean that someone didn't draw it with pixels.