AuthorTopic: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)  (Read 12983 times)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)

on: January 14, 2009, 07:12:39 am
Just wanted to get some opinions/critiques on this one. Just doing it for fun, kind of practicing volumes/frank miller's style of dark high contrast grizzly faces. Also may need help with foreshortening his armcannon.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Re: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:44:03 am
Ah man 0 replies is never good. Well, here's an update:

Gave him a more defined body but don't wanna mess with lighting too much to keep it mysterious.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:16:53 am
I think!

...the reason for no replies is that your forms aren't 100% clear to begin with, so people aren't precisely sure what to look at or what they're looking at. An' noone wants to be so offensive to post "uhh... what is it?"

By no means does it look bad, just some forms are unclear to me, particularly what I assume is his nose (trunk-like thing?), and the many other similar appendages sprouting from its head.

Also, to be entirely honest I'm not sure where the armcannon you mention is.

I feel as if subtle hue shifts to show the viewer that X is a different material than Y would go far.

It -does- look very cool, though. I'm lookin' forward to progress :)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:06:10 am
The overall messiness bothers me, the random pixel look should be discarded for a more controlled approach, in my opinion.

Also, I believe the "thou" in the last line should be "thee", grammatically speaking.  I also find it odd that he uses such archaic and proper language while still managing to throw in an "ain't".  I'd suggest changing the last line to "I am not yet done with thee!"

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:27 am
Hmm, well his speech is supposed to be a combination of old english and various types of slang, but I'll change it to thee, if that's more correct. With the messy look, it's still a wip and kind of style choice. His head is more or less done, so I'm hoping the final product will be as refined as that, where it's rigid but also kind of shaped with volumes.

The armcannon is the big circle thing. I tried to make it so it would be foreshortened and pointed right at the viewer, but apparently people don't get it. I may have to introduce some more colors on a similar spectrum to make the forms more clear. I think it has like 8 colors so far, maybe a faded green similar to the blue.

There are wires coming out of his head hooked up to his gun, there's a missle attached to his left arm, and yeah, that's his nose.

Any help about forming the textures (hair/fur for face, and metal for his armor) would be appreciated.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:23:10 pm
thee is correct for the objective form of the informal second person, while thou is corrective in the subjective/nominal case (as the first part) :

I, thou, you, him, her, us, ye, they - subjective
me, thee, you, he, she, we, you, them - objective
my, thy, your, his, her, our, their - genitive
mine, thine, yours, his, hers, ours, yours - possessive

slang can work but you may want to keep it more consistent.  For instance, "is" came into fashion for the third person after "thou" fell out of fashion : "There beeth" would be the working term.  Ain't, as a contraction, is also modern, but am and not were both words of the time so it could slide.  "Why" is also modern, in the past "wherefore" fulfilled the role of interrogative and "whereby" established cause.  "Why" at the time was an invocation used to indicate an interrogative phrase and did not serve further grammatical purpose.

it is also a modern/informal thing to include qualifying phrases which affect the subject after the object, which cure alludes to intentionally or unintentionally in his moving of "yet," for what that's worth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:57:03 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:51 pm
Even knowing what it's supposed to be, I cannot stop seeing the perfect circle of the arm cannon as two-dimensional. It would have to be on the same level with my eyes to look that way, placing it at the center of the image. (Even then, it would most likely miss the dead-center of my field of view.)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:54:00 pm
interesting how you're using the american ain't combined with old english... think about that :p
and yes, the overperfect armcannon which is most certainly out of perspective, doesn't only look wrong, it also attracts more attantion than anything else

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:53:56 pm
old english...
Early Modern English.

Aside from an english lesson I don't have much to offer other that to second the crits already given - hazy forms, the overly round gunbarrel (even if it's just sketched it will still come out direct when you pixel) and, gernally contributing to the above - perhaps overzealous darkening of the canvas.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:23 pm
Haha guys, thanks for the history lesson but don't worry about the old english. The way this character speaks a mix between old english and modern slang, it's not supposed to make sense.

About the arm canon, why wouldn't it be a perfect circle? I can play with the positioning to give it a kind of more in your face vibe, and maybe color in lighter at top, and work it from there into darkness to make it look like it's protruding foward in space. Was looking for ref pics of the perspective to make it easier:

Looking at this, the barrel is the lightest part and it's thicker and placed in the center.

Overzealous darkening of the canvas. Hmm, I could try a not pure black background to make it a bit more clear, or lighten up the colors in general, I guess it depends on what monitor you see it on.
Here's a quick edit/sketch of how it might look like that:

And here's a very quick isolation of the character though I like the black more. It gives him a kind of shrouded in darkness type look, and is reminesecnt of ilkke's alexander the great.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:42:34 am by Corinthian Baby »