AuthorTopic: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)  (Read 12767 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Lennus Portriat/poster (Alien Creature.)

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:46 am
doesn't really depend on the monitor- i've checked this out from several monitors now and it's always too dark.   don't lighten the background though, unless you want mud - increase contrast  and edge definition instead.

in addition, you're not really using light to define important forms, it's just sorta scattered around.  this deepens the clarity issues.

you don't have the perspective to pull off in-your-face, you have to work with a lot more foreshortening for that to happen.  as it is, the gun looks like a giant tiddlywink set on top of the canvas.

Haha guys, thanks for the history lesson but don't worry about the old english. The way this character speaks a mix between old english and modern slang, it's not supposed to make sense.
Early Modern English.  Old English is not readable without extensive study and can easily be identified by an abundance of "þ"s and "ð"s and "æ"s.  Your bit cannot be directly translated into old english, as the grammar is vastly different.  it would first need to literally read something like "purpose mine it be, therefor yet you life yours  have.  completed not I am to you!" before you could even translate, and i don't know the words for life, purpose, or to complete.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:13:02 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 08:53:10 am
Yeah I guess old english would be like Beowulf and stuff like that.

Here's an update. I tried to highten the contrast and make the forms cleaner/clearer:

Still not ready to tackle the arm canon, need to study some more for it.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:27:26 pm
Yeah I guess old english would be like Beowulf and stuff like that.

Here's an update. I tried to highten the contrast and make the forms cleaner/clearer:

Still not ready to tackle the arm canon, need to study some more for it.

Hey Corinthian Baby, I was just looking over your post and decided to make an edit to your art as it's a good start but a little dark and a little messy.

I did a really quick edit to show you how this could look with a palette change and also smoothed out a few areas to show you that you don't need to use every color everywhere ( i've been told this before and it's great advice ). I also placed the gun for you, although I have a feeling helm would be the best person to really show you a great way to place it as he is a comic illustrator :)

Anyway, here's the wip, I wanted to do more, but i'll leave the fun for you :)

Oh I almost forgot, I also changed the text, because honestly, its making the character seem wimpy, he looks like he would say something tough before he shoots ya. Also stole the colors I used from ndschristies bust. If you're not aiming for low colour I would suggest maybe 2 more colours.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 05:21:29 am
That is a sick edit dude. I will use this pallet and see what I can come up with.

I know there is like this thing about using people's edits, so is it ok to work off yours, or should I use it as a ref and do it myself?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:37:59 am
I really do not like that palette, dogmeat, but I think the positioning of the gun and the text are perfect. The new palette looks, hmm, the only way I can think of describing it is "boogery", as in made of boogers.

The original palette I think it not bad, it looks like the dude is popping out of the darkness.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 05:52:31 am
I'll have to agree; the original palette is much better.

However, I think Dogmeat has some great advice about where some of the highlights should be, such as the top of the ear opposed to the bottom. He also shows a good way of shading above the eyes, and his edit on the arm is more volumetric.

Good work so far; that said, I think studying Dogmeat's edit for the technique rather than the palette would be sound growth for you artistically. I'll be waiting for updates. :)

-Dex

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:20 am
I really do not like that palette, dogmeat,

I must also agree, it just seems too busy.

How about something like this?

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 03:38:54 pm
That is a sick edit dude. I will use this pallet and see what I can come up with.

I know there is like this thing about using people's edits, so is it ok to work off yours, or should I use it as a ref and do it myself?

Don't edit the edit. Place the pixels on your original yourself.

I agree that the palette is a bit messy, so add a a few colours to your old palette and continue from there

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 03:11:05 am
So I tried to work in a few colors from the above edit and make the volumes closer to dogmeat's edit:

Still a bit rough but it is getting up there.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 05:56:52 am
I think what confuses me most about the gun-arm is that he seems to have no reason for pointing it anywhere, let alone straight at the camera.

If the character were aiming at something, he'd be looking at what he's aiming at. If he's not aiming at something, he's prolly gonna have that big chunk of metal hanging out in some sort of relaxed position, not holding it up aimlessly at nowhere.