AuthorTopic: Treasure Chest  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Treasure Chest

on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:37 pm
Had an idea so I went with it. I can't say it came out like I had imagined, but I'm still working on it.

The top row is with the lid removed, and the bottom rows are different alternations I was thinking of. I'm happiest with the bottom row. Ya, I know it's a crapload of colors, I'm also having problem with the inside, something just seems off.

I plan to add a lot of overgrowth to this, inside and out to give it a sort of abandoned, long-lost treasure sort of feel.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Treasure Chest

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:05:07 pm
the curved part of the lid needs perspective too! That's mainly what's causing the off-ness, I'd say!
' _ '

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:39:27 am

Quick visual of what Jad said about the lid also needing perspective.

I'm less sure about the accuracy of my horizontal lines.
Your's get smaller in height as they move upward on the chest.  However they are closer to the viewer in regards to topdown.  But they are also farther from the viewer in regards to seeing the chest from the front.  So I guess that's really nitpicky and your horizontal lines are probably just fine so disregard my changes to them in this edit.

Anyway, the chest itself looks really nice great job it has a very clean look.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:51:30 am
Ah... well the shape isn't meant to portray perspective, but rather something different and less boring than a box.

edit: Added overgrowth... definitely not happy with it, though. Didn't come close at all to how I imagined it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:59:20 am by Dusty »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:27 am
there is clearly an issue with perspective. What i spot is
- under the keyhole, you've got a patch of copper that has the same width all over the place. No matter it is in the middle, since the whole box shrink with depth, so should that patch.
- you draw all the wooden planks with the same height. Those that are further to our eye should appear smaller. You can (and imho should) also use "width" of those planks to suggest the shape of the lid better.

Btw, all i'm saying here assume that your chest is a parallelipiped box seen with strong perspective. Maybe that's not the case. Showing us the chest on pure side and front view could help us figure out whether we're working from the correct idea or not. You may also want to show us a sketch of a small room (just for perpsective sake. It doesn't need to be art) with the chest in, so that we can figure out how it would be perceived in its own environment.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:08:29 pm
Hey bro, just a one-liner to point out that if I see it as perspective and it isn't, then it doesn't read well and you should probably do something about it : D
' _ '

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:16 pm
edit: Added overgrowth... definitely not happy with it, though. Didn't come close at all to how I imagined it.
Overgrowth alone won't make it look old if its wood is still perfect and its copper still shiny. Add rust, add dust, scarves and moisture spots before you go to mushrooms/webs/overgrowth.

if I see it as perspective and it isn't, then it doesn't read well
Agree : it doesn't read well without context.
If you saw it in a Zelda game, you would interprete it differently and you might think that "oh! it's those kind of chests that have a narrower bottom for some reason that i used to have with my Playmobil pirate ship ... fine.". That's why a sketch of the room (game's perspective rules) would be welcome for us to tell whether it reads well or not.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:12:30 am
Well there's no sketch because there really is nothing else. Either way it would go in a Zelda-type perspective. If it's still a problem, how do you propose to fix it? I don't want to change the shape as I think it adds an interest to it a plain box-shape wouldn't, and I don't want to go with an exaggerated perspective that Ian portrayed because that's not what I intended.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:38:52 am
Is the treasure chest in a sort of 1 point slash 3 point perspective?  Im confused at what i'm looking at.  The bar at the bottom of the chest has straight vertical lines, and yet the contours of the bottom of the chest seem to converge at some far off vanishing point.  Or maybe that is just the shape...uhhh.   I will say that it is nicely pixeled though.

Offline donom

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:03 pm
I think one of the main issues with the inside is that in great amount it uses the same color as the front of the chest, so they look like they are on the same plane. In this edit I changed too many things to irrational personal preference and I regret that, but I do think you should use more contrasting colors. The back of the chest also seemed to be higher than the front so I changed the former to be the same height; it looked like the chest had no bottom of its own, to me.