AuthorTopic: Begginer  (Read 5632 times)

Offline RitaoNagai

• View Profile

Begginer

on: January 13, 2009, 09:49:00 pm
SO I decided to do some pixel art and the truth is... I have no idea how this thing works.
Just wanted to check if I'm doing ok, and looking for some extra advice and tips :)

thanks!

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Begginer

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:02 pm
That it's disproportionate goes without saying, it was obviously intended.  :P

The entire body looks solid black to me though, maybe use lighter highlights? Or different colors? xP Up to you. Other than that, I can't find any real fault with it. :)
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:00:28 am
This is a great start.  You have a pretty amazing natural ability at something which is really difficult in pixel art: which is showing a full object/figure/whatever in a very small space clearly.

However, obviously there's a lot to be learned.  One thing pixel artists look very carefully at is their line work. Many use line cautiously and sparingly; other's choose to remove it entirely (as outlines are simply unrealistic, they generally don't exist in real life).  But very often they are necessary to separate different segments of a figure (such as the hair and head in your piece's case).  I would recommend to you attempting to remove the outlines from your piece entirely and seeing if you can make it work without them.  You may find out this is not necessarily better for the piece, but playing around with different approaches will help you learn pixel art all the more faster.

Also, your piece lacks any sort of shading.  Sometimes, because of the limited space of a work, a single tone can be enough for a part of a figure.  But if a pixel artist can successfully add a highlight or shadow to their work it can make that part pop all the more.  I would play around with shading the hair of your character.  Try adding a highlight or shadow to the one tone you have now.  Think about the direction the line is coming from onto your character (perhaps from above him) and then apply the highlight or shadow where you would think it would hit the hair.  To really make the shading pop, use a color that is highly contrasting with the one you have already.  Often times the more contrast you can get away with between shades without losing the illusion of a single surface the better looking a pixel art piece will look.

Anyway, these are just some general ideas to get you thinking about what you can do with pixel art and how to approach it.  This is a really great first piece and shows a lot of promise.

Offline RitaoNagai

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:33:14 am
Thank you very much for the replies and critiques!
I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply myself any faster, but I found myself unexpectedly busy.
I'll try to upload an update from this image taking in account what you said, aswell as some new things, as soon as posible..
Thank you very much once again!

Oh yeah, I do have one important question though... which programs can I use for this kind of art?
I did this one with Paint but found out the colour scheme a bit difficult to use, is there some other programm that's, if not done for pixel art, able to make the whole process a bit easier?

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:33:29 am
paint is all you need, but if you do want to get serious with pixel art, you can get GraphicsGale. i decide not to use it because you need to pay a small price.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:36:21 am
No, Graphics Gale is free. There is a paid version where you can save and load GIFs, but the normal version is free. It is what I use and recommend.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:53 am
really!  wow i should have checked. oh well.

yeah there you go

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt