AuthorTopic: Silverline mockup  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Silverline mockup

on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:25 pm

Hi, this is a raw mockup from a dungeon scene of a multi-player adventure. (16x16 raster) I do not like how the bricks fade to the dark. Which one is better? left or right? Somehow, I did not get the idea how this is done in other games. (both versions look a bit broken) any hints?

The other thing is... Which character view would look better: (A) view from above or (B) front view. It should be considered that this is a multiplayer-game, where each player can select different hair-styles/colors, face-types/colors, body-types/colors.
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Silverline mockup

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:37 pm
Very nice bricks.

I like the left better.  Looks cleaner.

I think character A is closest to what a character for that view should look like.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:54 am
right now, i have somewhat a difficulty of figuring out what's walkable on both. I'm 99% convinced that populating the walkable area would immediately dismiss that feeling.
Maybe some floor texture could help, and i'd drop a shadow over the wall as well (somehow strange to have shadow on the floor that stops against the wall.

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:53:47 am
Still working on the background. (good hint with the wall-shadow, PyreBros) My teammate also prefers perspective "A", so here we go. I had some problems with the bottom row. Does it work? Right now, the only way to distinguish male and female players is by the hair. So there might be some male-only haircuts and some female-only haircuts.

EDIT: added some coloring
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:23:52 pm by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:39:39 am

'have pimped up the walls and the character base again. Not sure about the shadow, especially at bottom left. Is it ok like that?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:53:10 pm by Lazycow »

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:53 am
Very nice ^_^

The only thing I can see that is awkward is that the walls on the side's brick layout conflicts with the walls facing the camera's brick layout. Instead of them being angled | <this way, they're angled -- <this way. The walls are essentially doing this-

----------------
--
--
--

When they should be doing this-

----------------
|
|
|

If ya know what I mean :P

Otherwise it looks nice ^_^

Offline DocJones

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:32:45 am
Heyas,

since that's my first post here, well... it's just me. The other guy working on silverline. ...the "database" guy :)

I have some troubles with the shadows:

It appears to me that the shadow on the northern wall is falling in the wrong direction. It seems half right, but i feel uneasy when looking at it.

Any comments?

regards
/D

Offline DocJones

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:05:06 am
Heyas,

One thing i forgot to say (at least in public): Those toons are cute! I bet we are the first to draw a massive amount of chicks on the interweb to play MMO's :)

regards
/D

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 01:53:37 pm
Finally, I found some time to continue this project...

I have changed the brick-alignment of the vertical walls. (good point, Mamoruanime)

As I was not sure if the shadows of the walls are correct, I made a small raytracer-test. So it seems like they are ok. (although, the rooms should have a (invisible) ceiling and then there wouldn't be any shadows at all)

Silverline Title (draft)

walking animation

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 03:33:49 am
Changed the characters shading a bit. More contrast from the body and the head. Also removed some unneeded white from the eyes.

gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space