AuthorTopic: Silverline mockup  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: Silverline mockup

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 09:51:17 am
Coming along nicely--those sprites are pretty cute, too. They look better in thedeamon's edit, with less white in the eyes. The eyebrows should be a darker color, IMO.

I'm not really knowledgeable re: shading, but to reference DocJones's concerns: do you think the shadow in the northern wall would end up in that trapezoid pattern? The lightsource seems to be coming from the upper left, but the shadow on the lower part of that wall implies it's coming from the lower right.
It would be squarish instead instead of triangular if it's coming from up and left.

Also, there wouldn't be as many strong shadows on the horizontal ( -------------------- ) walls on the bottom on the screenie.

The tiles themselves are great-looking, and again, cute sprites.  :D

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 10:17:34 am
you'll note on your raytracing scene that shadow cast by "horizontal" walls is much thinner than the one cast by "vertical" walls, since horizontal walls also partially hide the shadow they cast. Instead, in your pixelated scene, you have the same "width" of shadow around the whole scene, which imho doesn't render as nicely.

I also notice that your raytracing had walls brighter than their top, and in some sense, it helped my brain to interprete the scene as a 3D environment.

I tried to apply all this and here's what gets out. Okay, i found no better way to highlight the walls than make the whole scenery look like a part of the "Golden Cities", but i hope it still shows the point.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 01:47:37 pm
@thedaemon: Hey, I like these eyes! But the darker body looks like the guys are wearing clothes. (which they will finally, anyway)

@Bissle/PypeBros: The light source for the scene is on the lower left. But you are right, I will have to change the shadow of the horizontal walls. However, I am not sure about that bright walls. Maybe I should make the bricks on the top darker. I will test it...

updated walk cycles: naked, with metal armor, with cape and staff, attack animation

finally, I tried to pixel a skeleton. I am somehow pleased with the front view, but I couldn't do it in side view. Help!  :o

[UPDATE]

new version of a skeleton
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:42:37 pm by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!