AuthorTopic: Atalanta Animations  (Read 24583 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Atalanta Animations

Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 02:45:07 pm
In Gymnastics, running the 'usual' way, or flat-footed/heelstrike, is generally looked down upon.  To be good at it, you need to run on your toes constantly every time you're running, and it helps a ton.  Obviously, Gymnastics doesn't apply to much, but I thought I'd share my useless fact with you all.

NaCl, I like it.  It's much better, but something even more drastic would be good.  I'll get an edit out soon, if I can.  Once you're happy with it make sure you inbetween it more, it looks a little snappy atm.  Good work though, much better!  Keep it up!

Shrike

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:38 pm
hey is it just me or on the foot. theres less straps from the archery animation. has that been pointed out

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 01:42:56 am
There's two flashing pixels in her cheek in her standing pose.

Sokota

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 03:24:02 am
@ the heelstrike debate.

I'd always been curious about that. I figured I was an anomaly for naturally running primarily forefoot while most animators I talk to swear that the heelstrike is a critical part of the animation. Especially considering heelstrikes are more shock, less cushion on ye olde skeletal system.

In any case, good to know. Thanks for letting me now I'm not crazy, Gil :D

@ actual critique.

Nacl, is there anything you could add to the character, in terms of character design, that would separate one leg from the other? For example, if she has a knife strapped to her calf or a kneebrace or something it will be more obvious which leg is which in the run animation. Right now, I'm getting somewhat lost as to which leg is which.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:30:02 am by Willows »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 04:37:13 am
Her neck needs movement in the run, if u want a lil more realism.  It's almost too robotic for her to keep her head that perfectly still (apart from simple up down movement)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 11:20:04 am
Quick and dirty edit

I put the feet running on a level ground. I'm not sure that's what you wanted but before they were shifting around rather randomly.
I tried to have the feet move at a somewhat constant speed on the ground.
I added the frame where the foot hits the ground.
I'm not so happy about the pendulum movement of the leg going forward, it's a bit jerky.

The rest of the animation is pretty much untouched and not as smooth because I move things around so much.
I've pretty much only addressed the feet.

The leather strap on her leg is there to make the legs distinguishable.
I think something like that is needed or else it looks like a 4 frame animation.

Heelstrike debate
The main reason for having a heelstrike is so you catch the moment of contact.
Anyone can make a google image search on "running" and make up their own mind on the subject.
I haven't researched barefoot or running in sandals but the evidence you provide is good enough for me.
But don't the athletic runners land on the front cushion of the foot.
In that case a proper animation should catch that moment not when the whole foot is in the ground.

Offline dekutree64

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 12:02:45 pm
I haven't researched barefoot or running in sandals but the evidence you provide is good enough for me.
But don't the athletic runners land on the front cushion of the foot.
In that case a proper animation should catch that moment not when the whole foot is in the ground.
I run barefoot/in sandals much faster than with shoes. And yes, always land on the front of the foot first. At full speed my heels never touch the ground at all. At slower speed more like this animation, I go toes first but then the heel settles during the step, so that looks about right. Knees are still maybe going a little far forward. Not that you can't run like that, it's just s little more tiring. I do like the reduced bounce height in your edit, but I think there's something weird going on with her head. It looks like it's delayed one frame compared to her body, although I'm not sure if it really is or if it's just an illusion from the shoulder movement. Generally your head shouldn't move much. I think just getting the hair moving will be enough to make it not look stiff, and maybe a little subpixel variation on her face for skin ripple from the impact of the step and any slight bobbing type motion originating at the neck.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 03:58:25 pm
Not landing on your heel may be correct form, but it seems to add a lot of impact to the run. In robotacon's edit, the character looks almost like an automaton, and really had no weight. If you look at the video Gil posted, I think the guys running at 0:16 and further looks quite lame running. I rather have it look good then be correct (if I can't have it both ways).

Try to have the toes in the ground for as long as possible before you pick up the foot. When you run you trust yourself forward with the toes.

I believe they are already. There is the anticipation frame where the heel is touching the ground, but the weight is not yet on it, and then the recoil frame where the whole foot is on the ground. And then passing, the foot is on the ground, and at the high point only the toes are on the ground as she thrusts off the ground into the air. I could not keep the foot on the ground longer, unless I put it on the ground for the anticipation frame, but that would remove any weight of the animation.

Here is where I am now:

I was hoping the leg straps would help distinguish the different legs, but they don't quite do it. I will continue to try and figure something out. I like the idea of a leg strap, or some design element.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:44 pm
Make the legs (And arms) farthest from us darker by one shade.  Not realistic but it's in a lot of famous games, and it looks okay and totally helps it read.   :y:  on the newest WIP, I can't come up with any amazing crits atm, but well done!

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 04:11:33 pm
I know you've already worked a ton on the bow animation but you could seperate the legs with a quiver, or a knife if she's gonna have a close range weapon, but darkening the back leg is probably the easiest way.