AuthorTopic: Vampire game  (Read 3422 times)

Offline dekutree64

• View Profile

Vampire game

on: February 05, 2009, 10:28:18 am
Howdy there pixelers and pixelerettes. I've been working on this game for the past couple months, and I think I've got enough stuff done to post for opinions/C&C. The basic story so far is that you are a vampire, who has given up her evil ways and goes on a journey of killing bad things. Gameplay/art style is much like Super Castlevania 4, because I love it and there is not enough like it in the world.

First, we have our heroine, Mist, in 15 colors+transparent, 48 pixels tall:

I'm pretty happy with this one. That shading takes a long time to do though, so everything else is still in rough animation style.
Next is walking and crawling:

These I'm not entirely happy with. I like the shoulder/cape movement on the walk, but the unmoving head and slightly stiff legs could use some work. But a full pixel bounce up and down is a bit much, I think. The crawl is a little scrunched up, but that's more for gameplay reasons, so I don't have to widen the collision box. Might be ok as is.

Next we have shooting. There was a nice bow and arrow thread recently and I haven't made any adjustments based on the posts there, but I might as well include it anyway:

And finally, a couple screenshots. The backdrop layers are more index painting style, but the ground could use pixel critiques. The gray platforms are unfinished, so don't mind them for now.

So there you have it. I'm trying to keep frame counts to a bare minimum so as not to take 10 years to make. I won't have much time to work on this game for a couple weeks, and I may be switching over to a different game after that, but hopefully I can get back to it and make at least a few full levels eventually. In any case it has at least served one purpose of giving me something to practice pixels on.

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Re: Vampire game

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39:32 pm
Mmm! I like this overall! Gloomy Castlevania-y goodness.
While I'm not a huge fan of the character design, she reads very well on screen.
Even though you would like to keep the animation frame count to a minimum, her walking animation should be improved as you see it the most often (that and the basic attack).
Can't wait to see this in action.