AuthorTopic: Portrait Practice  (Read 12176 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Portrait Practice

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:01:16 am
That's true. Didn't notice that.  :huh: but... as I stated, I didn't have sufficient time to go through it. I would need to resize the canvas, redraw and stuff. It's really just a quick paintover. I'm only trying to get my point across. I hope it worked.

Offline donom

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:47:53 am
I think for a more mature look the jaw needs to be more prominent, the eyes more oblique and the nose bigger. Also the structure of cheeks and well of the whole face should be less round.

I hope this helps.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:32:32 am
donom has a great edit that I've saved in my archives.  I know this post contributes very little, but I feels that he accomplishes in a few lines what I intended to say here and that the best i can do is second the advice.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:40:43 am
Thanks for the crits guys.

I kind of want to keep the eyes in the same general shape (but they are a lot smaller than before), he needs to have some innocence to his look while not bieng overly childlike.
The Wild thing

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 02:54:19 pm
donom has a great edit that I've saved in my archives.  I know this post contributes very little, but I feels that he accomplishes in a few lines what I intended to say here and that the best i can do is second the advice.
I agree.  I made a horrible, choppy edit while adding two colors, and Donom made exactly the look I was going for in the same style.  Well done, ignore my edit.  :-X

New version looks loads better.  If I had to nitpick a few things it would be A) The hair. Really, try adding highlights to it.  It will greatly increase the depth, and give it some more form.  B) I think maybe a few very subtle shadows on the face would be good, in choice places. C) Right now the shading on the face, where the hair starts on the right, still looks blobular, which doesn't represent the curve you've added on the left of the face. Here, let me show you:

Better? I was using Paint, so the 2x pixels aren't exact, but you get what I'm saying.  Also, I didn't do this, but adding some subtle light highlights on the cheeks would give it more innocence.  If you don't want to add the subtle shadows.  :P
Really though, well done!

Toodles!
Shrike
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:13:16 pm by Shrike »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:21 pm

oops, forgot to upsize. Oh wells.

I don't have a lot to say about this, so I'll let it speak more for itself. Err.

Mouth looks weirdly half-open, I closed it.

When doing low-detail styles, implying nose position by shading rather than linework works fine.

Added highlight on nose, it's the part of the face that points the most to the sky (the sun; the light)

Moved -> eyebrow <-wards, since .. err.. heads are shaped that way.

More neck for more mature look.

Ugly highlights in hair, disregard.

And that's it!

' _ '

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:46:06 pm
Damnnit Jad, thats great.  :mean:  Maybe I should stop editing.  Every time I do some awesome person comes along and does a way better one.

Just listen to Jad.  :y: :-\

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:50:18 pm
my edit's so bad next to jad's one... oh well, i wanted to post it anyway.

i killed your character (sorry! ^^') 'cause i thought you could take some inspiration from the face's shape and give him some facial expression, and that would be pretty nice. to reach a more mature look, lines aren't very curvy, and eyes are smaller.
you did some great improvement, but keep improving  :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:06 pm
chimco : it's a fine edit, but belongs more in something like cowboy bebop.
Jad's a a good medium between the original and donom's.

you'll never lose the kid look if you keep the mouth open that way.  it's somehow or another supposed to be an expression which more or less defines sweetness in a character (i.e. closeness to being a young girl), and though I don't know why I believe it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 02:16:55 pm
Thanks guys!
Also another character, he's a man that's cursed into slowly turning into a tree.

I've been meaning to add highlights to the hair, but I don't know how!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:19:43 pm by mozzy »
The Wild thing