AuthorTopic: {wip} exploration platformer graphics  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Caliber9

• View Profile

{wip} exploration platformer graphics

on: January 10, 2009, 07:47:22 pm
Currently, I'm the artist on a team working on an exploration platformer but I need some critique on the artwork.  I thought I would post a mock-up level with some of the characters.

I'd appreciate anybody's input.  Im especially concerned about the characters being cohesive.  I began using a much lower color count on some of the characters but i quickly moved to more colors and detail and i am unsure if this contrast is unsettling.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: {wip} exploration platformer graphics

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:53:59 pm
I like that style, with the dark shadows and spirals and all, but I can't help but think it looks a little messy. :/

As for the characters, they're a bit hard to read, to me anyway. Might be due to some slight pillow shading you have going on there. :0

Can't wait to see what you do with it though, looks interesting.  ;D
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:03:19 pm
Wowza so many simple pixeled stuff coming out.
I love the trees bark. <3 not a fan of the leeaves since it changes from curly to normal on the branch there.
Thing I'm noticing is you've got the square tiles going on, is this a stylistic choice?

And that bridge is stunning.  :y:

Ace stuff though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:10:49 pm by Souly »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:40:09 pm
nice stuff, although i think youre throwing too much detail onto alot of stuff, which ubstructs (not sure if thats the way to spell it but wtv) the forms.

i also cant decern the characters from the BG very well, as i think you said, everythings has little contrast.
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:40:36 am
There's to much contrast on the trees, as they seem to draw the eye away from the characters.
I also think you have 3 diffrent bases of styles going on. And by that I mean 3 parts of your work vary when compared.
these three parts are:
-the tree's and bushes
-the characters
-the floor tiles,including the box and bridge.

I think this has stood out clearly to you and is why you came here, but I feel I can't help you. And so I hope others can.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:44:45 pm
impressive work on the tree, though it seems still a bit "noisy" here and there, and show a (imho) distracting "long, linear scarf" on the most proeminent part of the trunk.

all thumbs up.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:07:21 pm
It looks like an EXTREMELY COOL work in progress. I'm guessing that you're still fleshing out the background layers and cleaning up the tree (but only a little bit). The bridge looks beautiful. If you are actually planning to keep the background tree layer that way, I say it needs more definition.

I'm not sure what to say about the characters as they are. To me they seem too small and some of them almost have too much definition in contras with each other (I'm not sure if that's what you meant before). I think it's good for the characters to have contrast between background layers, but every character should feel cohesive. If you want to have more detail, they should all have the same amount of detail. And as I said, I think they should be a little bigger.

Finally, I think your color choices are very solid. This is especially obvious on the bridge.

Offline Caliber9

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:13 am
thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful  :).  I dont think i want the characters to be much bigger because that means more time animating, but i can try some variations of slightly larger characters.  I was planning on leaving the background as is, but I can try to add some more detail.  Ill post up my progress on that tree hopefully within the next day.  Here's another tile set I've been working on.

as well as an animation of the small enemy breathing fire.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 01:22:32 am
Oh wow, nice update since I last saw it.
You may want to really touch up the tree, many of loose pixels on it.

As I said I still really like the tree on the block.
But if it has yellow on it for highlight and the bushes waaaay on top at the back dont, or even the one in the wide open.
On the top the lightsource is coming from the left, yet the highlight is coming from the right.
I know it's overly hard to keep proper lightsource in a platformer.
Also not sure the bridge on the right would have such bright colors, it seems you have it more background then forground.

But yea great stuff keep it up.