AuthorTopic: Quantum Core - Levels and Terrain  (Read 11853 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Quantum Core - Levels and Terrain

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:38 pm
I was really liking the 3D, but we've ran into a few snags with the 3D engine.
1. Translucent textures (the tubes)
2. Cylinders use too many polys...
The game is for pc, right? Then I don't see any problem with these two points. Don't get me wrong, I just can't imagine that someone who is able to write a proper engine can't add an alpha-map to his texture-class.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:14 pm
Naw he said it that the transparency was possible, just not the way I had done it.
Would have required probably just making the textures in photoshop.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:07 pm
If you're using 3D anyway, make use of the depth. Not in terms of movement, but in terms of scener. If you're going to place the camera at a non ortographic angle, display shapes in the caves. If you're going to use the perspective of the camera and not render it as an ortographic one,use multiple image planes and add splits of the cave going into the depth. Unreachable, but logically apparant.

Also, you keep showing new stuff, and haven't gone back to adjust a single thing. If this is a showcase, make it good. If it isn't, show that you listen to critique. I know I sound blunt there :P no offense intended but it's my most direct way of putting it, and I do mean it that you should take more time to stand still at what you are doing before making more progress. The more you do, the more you redo. That's a rule of thumb in any project ;) - My main critique for now: integrate your elements of choice logically into the design.