AuthorTopic: Simple female portrait 90X120  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Simple female portrait 90X120

on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:13 pm
Just trying to get back into dot work.
Original--------->>Revision

Photoshop
11 colors including transparency
I was shooting for 12 colors but couldn't see a use for another as I progressed.
No Dither because I'm not ready for it yet.

Reference Images
I grabbed these after the initial sketch and basic modeling stages to help ground the image.

I'd love to know what fresh eyes think about it and what I can do to enhance my work.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:20:00 am by Euphronios »
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Re: Simple female portrait 90X120

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:45 pm
cool : ) it's and interesting and quite original face.
her forehead is too wide, you'd better move her hair down to get a more rectangular and shorter shape. the eyes don't seem aligned correctly, try moving her left one down... i'd also decrease the dinstance between them, but this is just cause i'd find them more appealing (but maybe you wouldn't). the dark lines on the eyes and the mouth are spoiling the face's 3d shape... use some AA and lighter colors. i can't help you with shadows because this kind of reflections is pretty new to me... :-[

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:12:26 am
Reminds me a lot of my friend Anna Lucia

It's a fair portrait, with a bit of personality.  I like very much that you've chosen not to shy from real detail, and you've handled them for a most part in a way that doesn't muddy up the femininity which takes some doing to begin with.

I do think however that you could do with some smootihng out (aa) in some places, like the transition on the forehead from front to side and the lips.  the chin, also, could stand from perhaps a bit of rounding, as it lacks the nice volumes of the rest of the piece.

good work and keep to it :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Revised

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:29:45 am
Revision Above.

Warmed up the two lighter colors and tried to apply both of your ideas. It took quite some figuring to do this effectively.
I dropped the darkest shade as it seemed to be extraneous.
Since the image is so damned monochromatic I had a very difficult time finding a midrange antialiasing color that worked. I'm still not sure that I did.
Better or worse?

Thanks again.
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline Hydronium

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:56:37 am
I love the colors and character here, it's looking pretty good. I'd suggest some AAing to smooth things out, especially on the bridge of her nose and on her ear. Personally, I think dithering might do more damage than good, especially on her forehead. It might look better as is, but I guess you'd have to play around with it to find out.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:50:56 pm
this is such a nice pallette.  I'm going to use it for black skin always from now on, thank you :)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:01:28 pm
this reminds me of the black woman off the ten thousand fists cd by disturbed...

the side-forehead area doesnt read for me correctly does the head dip in that sharply?

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt