AuthorTopic: has anyone heard of bobs game?  (Read 21464 times)

Offline El Huesudo II

• View Profile

Re: has anyone heard of bobs game?

Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 07:53:10 pm
THIS GUY.

For a moment I thought it was some sort of viral marketing for a real game coming around. Something like a VN about a guy who's trying to make a game and slowly goes insane. But to hear it's real... Oh my god. There's other ways to go around situations like this. Take Cave Story for an example.

EDIT: It appears it, indeed, WAS viral marketing about a game in which the exact same thing happens: the main character goes nuts and makes a game. ...This actually makes me think even less about the game and its creator. Go you, Bob, now you're nothing but a troll.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:02:36 pm by El Huesudo II »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 12:53:48 am
Those guys (I guess there were/are more than just one crazy programmer) know how to sell themselves.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have 30. . . 31 replies here.  As for myself, I find that stuff pathetic -- closed the site just after first glimpse and will never come back again.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 02:01:53 am
EDIT: It appears it, indeed, WAS viral marketing about a game in which the exact same thing happens: the main character goes nuts and makes a game. ...This actually makes me think even less about the game and its creator. Go you, Bob, now you're nothing but a troll.

I'm not entirely convinced that's what it was supposed to be all along, but then again his ego seems to be the only thing that fits into that room.

Someone linked me to this image, slightly NSFW (mspaint cock) but pretty fair description: http://i44.tinypic.com/2i2ahw7.png

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 09:26:20 am
I'm pretty sure taking it to a racial stereotype isn't accurate. Do we know if there's people acting like bob in japan? We don't follow japanese gaming websites. Also I don't think it's always a virtue to talk small like the cartoon Pixel does. You don't owe it to anyone to be like that. Of course that doesn't mean I think bob is reasonable or anything, but that dichoctomy presented in that image I think enforces a stereotype of as-undisturbed-as-possible-consumption that I don't support, so I wanted to say something.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:02 am
I'm pretty sure taking it to a racial stereotype isn't accurate. Do we know if there's people acting like bob in japan? We don't follow japanese gaming websites. Also I don't think it's always a virtue to talk small like the cartoon Pixel does. You don't owe it to anyone to be like that. Of course that doesn't mean I think bob is reasonable or anything, but that dichoctomy presented in that image I think enforces a stereotype of as-undisturbed-as-possible-consumption that I don't support, so I wanted to say something.

Yeah, you're totally right about the racial stereotyping there. I must admit I completely missed the huge headline and went right for the text. And these two are extreme sides of the scale (if you can label it as such), and I've heard some people say that it's not a bad thing to have some of the traits that Bob has. The egocentric side of him annoys me too much to even slightly consider taking his side though.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:52 am
I wish I had the balls to advertise my game in that way...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 11:49:08 am
If you get the balls, please get some humility to go with it, heh
' _ '

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 05:02:38 pm
Is this really a good way to advertise a game? I'm far more interested in never laying my hands on it even if it turns out to be a good game. Sure a lot of people now know of Bob and his game, but I'd wager alot of them hasn't even seen the latest happenings and still think he is a douchebag.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:32 pm
I have seen the latest of stuff he's put up and I indeed still think he's acting like a douchebag.
' _ '

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:17 pm
Well, that was amusing. I'd vaguely heard of him a few times but never looked it up, until now. I love his adorable little design things and quips about how smart he is. One video had an annotation explaining that, whenever you enter a building the character stays in the same spot on the screen to reduce disorientation ("How come the big teams never think of that?")

Then he runs around and you realize the character himself is all over the entire screen when just walking around normally, anyway, so why the heck does it matter??

So cute. Oh, and here's an idea... if you wanna make a game all by yourself, try to make it on a platform where you don't have to rely on other people, why don'tcha? DS games need both a kit from Nintendo, an official Nintendo license, and a publisher. A PC game needs... an Internet connection. Maybe, if he's so incredibly clever, he should've thought of that.

brb, gonna make a game all by myself.