AuthorTopic: has anyone heard of bobs game?  (Read 21331 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: has anyone heard of bobs game?

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:21 am
Just to make conversation....TakaM, what are those design choices?

Take the camera for example, you can walk all the way to the edge of it so you can't really see what's coming (which would be a major problem if the game featured any enemies or something) and you press R or something to snap the camera back to the character.. it's something that shouldn't really be an issue
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:18 am
there are single-man dev teams out there that produce commercial games, but they need to be special.  Combat Mission, for instance, was made by one man in a basement, but it had a hybrid turn system gimmick in addition to playable graphics and an assload of realism/historicity that made it worth playing.

...and let's not forget every day shooter on PSN and Braid on XBLA...

@ Takam - I think the term you're looking for is 'predictive scroll' - and the fact it's lacking is one of those elements that proves this is an amateur product - no disrespect to bob, but it's one of those aspects that proves he's not exactly the genius he thinks he is.

@ Shrike - There are aspects of poking fun agreed, but bob could learn a thing or two by being part of a dev team - standing by a nmisguided notion that being able to self code/art/score a product isn't necessarily one to be proud of - 5 years of this guys life has been wasted on what appears to be some kind of post pubescent 'getting back at all those fools who doubted me' fantasy that has culminated in the poor soul being ridiculed and lambasted from all quarters.

Full marks for enthusiasm, drive and passion... zero marks for implementation and approach... it strikes me that a little career guidance has gone amiss along the line - or perhaps (as many have pointed out) that he is in fact bipolar and lacking any judgement of reality... either way it's sad to see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:23:32 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:52 pm
@ Shrike - There are aspects of poking fun agreed, but bob could learn a thing or two by being part of a dev team - standing by a nmisguided notion that being able to self code/art/score a product isn't necessarily one to be proud of - 5 years of this guys life has been wasted on what appears to be some kind of post pubescent 'getting back at all those fools who doubted me' fantasy that has culminated in the poor soul being ridiculed and lambasted from all quarters.

Couldn't agree with this more.

But to me it seems less like he's a game developer and more that his game is merely a catalyst for his attempt at Internet Fame. Compare Bob to Pixel who has no interest in celebrity, pretty private and quietly grateful that people enjoy his game so much.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:22 pm
I'm pretty sure that's still his office, crazy or not

You mean parents basement?

No, you're right.  I was speaking to the above post, which seemed to be bashing him without any intelligent addition to the conversation. 
Bob was probably just trying to get attention, I'm sure. I just feel like this should be a discussion, not a 'ahahaha hes soooo stupid look he mades crappy gaems!!!!11'.
Obviously an exaggeration.  But you get my point?

EDIT: I'm sorry, I made it sound like NaCl was trying to get attention.  I meant Bob.  My apologies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:50:13 pm by Shrike »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 09:41:18 am
Perhaps the ads of the future will be incomprehensible pieces of abstract video art that confuse the viewer and at the end they have a big http://www.checkoutmyproduct.com address.

http://www.diesel.com
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 11:48:57 am
That's it, the ultimate proof that the future is already there!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:34 am
Go check out what ol' Bob has done now. New video up - he went to New York to litter in Gantendo's big NY storefront.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 05:27:28 am
He and his friends are such assholes, I just feel sorry for the guys working there that had to clean up all his shit
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:09 am
I don't think I like him based simply on the youtube videos...

Who the fuck hypes up recording himself sitting around for 30 days straight making a crappy game? I mean honestly, the video showed little more than some generic RPG character art, and a bunch of "back and forth" "back and forth" fetch gameplay. Doesn't seem fun, seems very boring and a waste of time. I'm sorry if that's a bit harsh. Being a genius is awesome, but thinking you're a genius when you fall horribly short and become pompous about it is definitely the path to destruction.

I'm usually all for people going out and making games, but not if they're going to let all of it get to their heads. I have little respect for people like Bob.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:02:17 am by Mamoruanime »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:09 pm
Hurr

That's asshole-ish allright

He's got a pretty interesting haircut.

I guess he had fun.

Also it seems his whole ranting about his greatness thing plus the breakdown was all planned so

I guess I got trolled so

I guess that makes him a troll.
' _ '