AuthorTopic: Trees  (Read 5720 times)

Offline HulioG

• View Profile

Trees

on: January 08, 2009, 09:16:06 am

This is my history with trees, it seems every time I finish I believe I'm satisfied only to frown upon the work 2 weeks later. Input on that latest tree (09, with all the arrows pointed to it) would be pretty cool. I started out with a blue print (inspired by a post of Helms) but ended up with something totally different seeing as how I was trying to make a tree with a 3/4ths perspective and had struggled for some odd reason.

Things I was trying to achieve include:

• Simplicity 
• Removal of noise
• 3/4s perspective.

I've been keeping a look out for any refining techniques that could help with any of these.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Trees

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:53:15 am
the latest one looks very nice. I think if you progress with one more highlight colour and tweak the palette a bit in the end so it has a bit more contrast the result will be great.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:57:21 am
well I think the second ones were allready brilliant. the last one does need a pallet rework.

I like how you moch the tree up with big shapes. I think the second ones just need some relative depth. like the small bushy areas are all similar shades and get pushed to the same plane. maybe if you had that overal big shading going on it would be appear a bit more thick in its top.

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:13:38 pm
Well you have made really good progress, although I will agree that the last one looks washed out, even for a white background. I love how you do the shapes in the trees though, especially the blocking at the end. On the last one, maybe adding a nice highlight color that would work for both the trunk and the leaves such as a light-low-saturation purple might be a good touch :). Good progress though! I should make a little time-line like this :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:24:37 pm
Looking good :]
I say on the latest, push the shadows up bust a bit( physically, not like change their values to be higher)
and add a highlight for the highest of leaves.
Also the tree trunk might could benefit from being to the left a couple pixels.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:36:10 pm
i like 09 the best, but you should place it on a 50% gray BG, so that you can tell how bright your colours  look on a more natural backdrop, im guessing theyll be lil washed out.

just make it a very bit darker, and more saturated, and it should work fine on most BGs
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:03:14 am
Not to necro post (missed anything in the rules/FAQ about how far back one can resurrect a post), but I'd love to know more about your creation process for your 08 style, or how you would incorporate more detail to your leaves (or highlight) in your 09 style. Or about this blueprint post of Helms, if anyone knows where that is, especially if it's tree related.

I've been finding creating a tree at 3/4 perspective instead of flat-on somewhat difficult as well. Drew white lines at angles and circles about five units high by eight wide to try and capture the perspective properly (I just noted that's NOT 3/4, eesh). I've had to accentuate the trunk and draw branches fore and rear to try and get my brain to remember it while shading, and haven't yet been able to capture leaf clusters with light. Have started practicing drawing small leaf clusters in the hope it'll get somewhere.

Apologies if HulioG is no longer around or some such.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage