AuthorTopic: Player Sprite  (Read 2637 times)

Offline NumNums

• View Profile

Player Sprite

on: January 12, 2009, 10:48:34 pm
Hello,

It's been a LOONNGG time since I posted anything.. Doubt anyone here even knows me... haha

Anyway, I've started working on art for a game I'm working on and need help with the main character.
I feel like he is a bit too stiff or something.. and I added an ambient yellow light for a nice change but I'm not sure if its helping or hurting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Nums

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Player Sprite

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:53 pm
The ambient light definitely seems to be hurting. I don't see why you'd need/use ambient light in a game, unless it's always present.

The character looks like a cardboard cut out. You do a lot of shading that goes light-dark-light around the sides, and it's really messing things up.

Also, in some parts, I see what sort of looks like pillowshading, in a way. Even if you removed the ambient light, say, on the face, you would still have dark on both sides of the face, while it is light in the middle.

Fix up your shading/lighting, and try to give it some volume.

Offline NumNums

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:25:06 am

I changed his shape a little and removed the ambient lighting.. I feel however that this is even flatter looking than the original and is incredibly bland... Any help?

-Nums

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:26:54 am
Throw in some highlights, and make his pose more natural. People don't really stand/look like that in real life.

Offline NumNums

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:03:46 am
That's what I'm having trouble with.. He looks so stiff but I don't know how to fix it.. He is obviously cartoony.. so there are only stubby legs/arms to work with.. Any ideas?