AuthorTopic: I need some help on selout, lighting and other stuff C+C too*WIP RUN CYCLE*  (Read 17531 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Edit might come! Of course his chest will go down a few pixels, I mean that was the point - making the chest go down a few pixels without shortening the spine per se!

I actually didn't really mind the quick-version you've done as long as you'd animate it properly in the end, I was merely building on souly's crit. However, it's way past bedtime for me, so if I make an edit it'll come later!

Also please don't be too discouraged by the strikes, they're more or less a reminder for you to try and focus on your art and art alone. I recognize that some of the crits that've been given in this thread have been given in a harsh tone, but when you snap back, people get irritated because they think you don't take them seriously and voilá, suddenly the tone you'll encounter will be even harsher and non-considerate. If you feel unjustly treated or want to vent, I'm available for PM!

Here's hoping we can all continue this thread in a well-mannered ... manner : D
' _ '

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
Thanks Jad!  Yeah I have been getting a bit discouraged lately and while I try to follow critique sometimes it is a bit too harsh for my liking.  I think I have been following what people said so far.  I scrapped that old idle animation because it lacked purpose and am now working on a different one. :y:  I'll do my best to learn from the critique regardless of the way it gets presented.

*Update*

oh and for people with graphics gale, here is the .gal version.  I like using layers when I animate things like this, which for me makes it easier to manipulate the section that has the most animation.  If anyone wants to make edits this should make it easier.  The bat, hands arms, and body are on separate layers.  http://www.mediafire.com/?cjktk00mkin  I had to rar it because media fire wasn't verifying it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:54:09 pm by Mike »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
WIP Run cycle

Only thing I'm not too sure on is how I swung the arms.  C+C welcome

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
WIP Run cycle

Only thing I'm not too sure on is how I swung the arms.  C+C welcome
The leg movement is sound here. Think a bit more about his back -- he's running scrunched-up, as if he were injured; he crumples during the animation. While you can run at that sort of an angle, you'd be hard pressed not to fall over as you stop. One of the tipoffs here is the distance between the elbow and knee; personally, whether I'm running or sprinting, I am NEVER in any danger of hitting my elbows on my knees (or even on my thighs), only my fists on my knees.
If I was doing an edit, I would:
1. try limiting the vertical head movement to a maximum of 3 pixels; if your head really bounced around that much you'd be in danger of whiplash.
2. reduce the angle of his back and lengthen it 2-3 pixels (even if he's supposed to be relatively short).
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Agreed somewhat.

Although it's better that you're going for an exaggerated and stylized run and a lame one, this ones look a bit too much 'holy shit fire, duck and run' run, so straightening him up just slightly would be good.

Head bobbing horizontally might look weird when in-game, a safer bet is reducing it to mostly vertical bouncing.

It's looking good though and certainly has the energy you're looking for!
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
The far and near arms and legs are the same positions. If you would have that animation in 2 colours it would look like 3 frames. Make sure to move things about a bit and don't have the far and near stuff be exactly on the same pixelspace.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Should I make different versions of the back legs instead of copying them?  Same for the arms? 

Also I'm gonna make an edit with toned down horizontal movement, and bend the spine up a little too.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
We've seen this character for a good while now, but since you removed his contact juggling move I'm at a loss for any of his personality traits. Care to write up a little profile for him? if you want to make a game you'll be needing one eitherway...