AuthorTopic: I need some help on selout, lighting and other stuff C+C too*WIP RUN CYCLE*  (Read 17529 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile
The movement on the hair looks too slow. P. nice otherwise.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio
His legs are stretching up and down.
And he's leaning forward and back which really doesn't make sense, that is more like a boxer then bruce lee.
He did more of a hop jog type thing where he hoped up and down not tilting back and forth., it was used to be nimble on his feet and to distract his opponent.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
I got wonderful critique from the coolest person EVER!!!  METARU!!!  Oh man this guy he knows it all.  I'm taking everything he says and applying it right away.  What would I do without you Metaru??  Probably live in a zoo!! ;D

Quote from: Metaru
what is this for. i mean is this suposed to be the idle stance of a figthing sprite?

if you ask me, the animation of some parts is  extremely overdone. the hair is the best example. rather than being moved by the kinetic force of the body feels more like the top of his head is about to launch hair spikes towards the enemy. even when its suposed to be a fantasy-ish haircut, its so unnatural and forced that ends being silly(its a soft movement, he's not headbanging]). the fringes are lacking a recoil when the head is moving foward, so it would wave normally and wouldnt swing like a wing. and a complete personal opinion, you should take away the blink animation(really doesnt add anything to the already overdone hair animation, and its rather better to not have it than having a mechanical movement for an action thats suposed to not be natural. its just lacking the amount of frames to give a bigger gap between each blink)

the left arm is a complete mess. something tells me you did the whole character(desing and shading) first and then just copy/paste segments to create the animation. if not, i cant explain why you messed the left arm so bad. its shape and volumen changes on every frame(while everything above the elbow remains stiff), and the hand smeels like a poor rotation. his wrist are dancing as if they were made of jelly. the zipper waves left right, but the structure and folds of the jacket itself isnt afected. look at this example of flow in a jacket(look at the movement of the zipper: thats exactly what i'm talking about the movement the recoil in the fringes):

same thing that happened with the left arm happens on the legs, on both. specially the left one is again a mess. if you look carefully, the guy has 2 knees. is basically imposible to make that idle stance with your legs placed that way. you just cant hold your weigth and move so naturally without forcing youself and therefore not making an idle stance(wich is suposed to be the relaxed stage of from where you start your actions)

there is plenty more elements to point in the piece, bbut i'm just focusing in the animation aspects of it.  oh and btw I'm a total douchebag.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:09:58 am by Mike »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I've not read what he's said, but don't quit a media because you receive strong criticism and don't quit because some guy might seem like a prick.

it's far better to go, sit down, watch a movie, eat some ice cream, call a girl, build a boat, whatever...and come back the next day with a fresh eye, fresh mind, and, ideally, all the stronger for taking it in the face.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Yeah I've been up and about in clothes that my character wears trying to figure out a purposeful fighting stance.  I was being a bit melodramatic in that post but I'm back and ready to take on the world again.  After thinking it over I feel like a fool for animating something that clearly had no personality, emotion or purpose.  So back to the drawing board.  I'll probably have to design a whole new sprite again but thems the breaks.  I'll still try and keep it the same size though.  I can't get much bigger than that and still hope to animate it.  Thanks for the advice ndchristie.

Also I'll never ever EVER animate something without fully thinking about the wofaim "Wants, Objectives, Feelings, As-if, Intentions, Moment before

Wants?
Objectives?....long term, short term?
Feelings?
As-if  (is character impersonating another character)?
Intentions?
Moment before  (continuity)?

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile
thanks for the quote. i feel honored.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
okee dokee then
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:19:33 am by Mike »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
thanks for the quote. i feel honored.

You should feel honored I don't normally go around quoting people from other boards everyday ya know.  Cherish this moment forever.

What's with the drama. On with your art, please.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Helm was that post really necessary?

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• My failed attempt at mimicking XenoStriker's style
    • View Profile
    • My DA..nothing much yet >>
Helm was that post really necessary?
Was yours?  And just so I can't be bludgeoned for that skatchy response, I take it back, I'm a noob on this forum and it isn't my place.  My input is:  For your idle sequence, he dips down in the middle, and rises at either end.  Maybe you could try the opposite, so he is tallest in the middle.  In other words, maybe try making him bounce on his toes.  That might make more sense in this context.