AuthorTopic: I need some help on selout, lighting and other stuff C+C too*WIP RUN CYCLE*  (Read 17561 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
I'm doing a test to determine whether or not I have the skill to increase the sprite size I'm using in my game.  I figure since it's gonna be about fighting and doing cool moves it would be nice to be able to see the main character in better detail. 

Here is the small version

and here is the new version that I hope to use.  I really hate the way I drew the jacket...looks fat and has a lame shape.  Plus the lighting...man I suck at lighting.
>udpdate1>update2(animation scrapped)
tried to salvage (still scrapped)

new idle animation >update1

Run Cycle
constructive critiques, comments, edits, insights, and anything else all welcome.  :y::D :y:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:46:20 am by Mike »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: I need some help on selout, lighting and other stuff C+C too

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:49 pm
It's getting alot better, but Ive made a palette adjustment to bring like the hair and jacket to the right level of the pants. The face seems too busy with details you're just not going to acomplish, keep it simple.

Went a bit further using the colours wherever it can be of most significance helping with correct depth for shape, cleaning with AA and for more interest.

Help atall?

But overall a big improvement, just keep at it Mike I think you're better than you think you are. Just have fun  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:25:33 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:37:54 pm
Wow that is awesome dude!!  How did you decide to make an edit like that?  What was the main reason that made you go "yep this needs to be like this"  I'm really interested ;D Furthermore I really like your edit but I was wondering...  Are you sure there isn't a way to keep the smile?

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:06:10 am
Update*

I decided to make the jacket a bit more detailed.  It's a leather hoodie jacket...

I made a few changes to the last edit as well as keeping the palette mostly the same.  I did add a new color for the zipper since white was too bright and gray was too dark.

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:35:42 am
I'm digging the character. The main thing I would consider is when doing the animation, having a bit more fun with the hair in the loop. In the current loop, it looks like 3 or so frame just loop while the rest of it is 6 frames (or some variation). Maybe the second half of the animation have his hair do something fun :D

Lookin good!

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:08 am
I finally finished the idle animation on this bad boy.  Took forever!!!  Looking forward to the critiques and comments on this.  I feel I could do better but I need someone to direct me to what needs to be better. :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
My critique is: What does this pose mean? Would you see somebody do this move in real life? If so, besides in the case of him dancing, what would you emotionally connect with such a pattern of movement?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Keeping his body moving so he isn't stiff and so he is ready to fight. :D 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Yes but that's an invention, you know that? A fighter will move to utilize the space around him for his advantage, he would not excert energy for no reason. He isn't stiff to start with, if he's about to fight. Just because you saw something in some other videogame doesn't mean you should take its truth for granted.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
The truth is I wanted it to be like a toned down bruce lee kinda deal.  I'm not that good at these really intricate animations.  Is there anything I can do without completely redoing this that would make it animate more like that and less like a dance?