AuthorTopic: I need some help on selout, lighting and other stuff C+C too*WIP RUN CYCLE*  (Read 17530 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Keep in mind that the standing and walking animations really tell the player a lot about the character. So don't try to come up with a generic or even just a "cool" pose - if you have a good idea of who this character is, you'll make a much better animation.

A sort of cold, callous character probably isn't going to move around very much, but he'll have his hands in a position where he can defend himself because he doesn't trust anyone.
A confident, arrogant character will probably have his arms at his sides or even in his pockets 'cuz he's not afraid of being attacked.
An edgy, psychotic or excitable character is gonna be bouncing up and down on his toes just waiting to take off, wasting lots of energy because he has plenty to spare

etc, etc.

If you look at SNK's fighting games I think they do a better job of this than Capcom... although later Capcom games like Street Fighter 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom are better.

Professional animators usually have an easy time creating poses because they have writers who have already described the character's personality to them in great detail. If you're having a hard time coming up with poses just take a minute and put yourself in the character's head.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:57:22 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
Keep in mind that the standing and walking animations really tell the player a lot about the character. So don't try to come up with a generic or even just a "cool" pose - if you have a good idea of who this character is, you'll make a much better animation.

A sort of cold, callous character probably isn't going to move around very much, but he'll have his hands in a position where he can defend himself because he doesn't trust anyone.
A confident, arrogant character will probably have his arms at his sides or even in his pockets 'cuz he's not afraid of being attacked.
An edgy, psychotic or excitable character is gonna be bouncing up and down on his toes just waiting to take off, wasting lots of energy because he has plenty to spare

etc, etc.

If you look at SNK's fighting games I think they do a better job of this than Capcom... although later Capcom games like Street Fighter 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom are better.

Professional animators usually have an easy time creating poses because they have writers who have already described the character's personality to them in great detail. If you're having a hard time coming up with poses just take a minute and put yourself in the character's head.

Yeah that's what I was kind of trying to get at.  The more relaxed confident pose but still have one arm/hand at attention.  Maybe he shouldn't crouch down and just have one hand in his pocket, and the other out just chilling.  He isn't really a fighter and he doesn't know martial arts or anything.  He is just a street punk kinda kid.  With that said anyone have any suggestions?

Here is what I was trying to get at with my first pose. 

I don't have a tight leather jacket, so the best I could use was a black jacket.  Also I changed the way the hand was because in this picture it isn't visible at all so it looks kinda weird.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Here I worked on this real quick.  I want to submit it now before I put any detail in it.

I need some help on the twirling and the bat patting the ground.
In this anim the character will twirl the bat with his wrists, breathe a bit, and then pat the bat 2 times on the ground.  I'm thinking of making the twirling and patting the bat random animations that will play errr...randomly at a set time.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio
What's with the random spine shrinkage?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
What's with the random spine shrinkage?

To simulate breathing I guess.  It's too subtle an animation to have his legs bend just for breathing.  These are just key frames.

Oh one quick question.  You ever have anything constructive to say Souly? 

Offline Jad

• View Profile
He had, I also thought he was acting assy until I looked closely at the sprite and realized that hey, this kind of drag-and drop animation actually makes it look like his spine IS shrinking at certain intervals.

If you want to simulate a up/down motion with breathing, make his chest expand very subtly and his spine bend to cause his head to move up and down, not shrink and expand.

Please try to take all critique to heart and if you do not see the constructiveness of a reply you get, please ask for an explanation instead of questioning the character of the one posting the critique, okay? (:
' _ '

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile
Number 1 rule of all forums: Don't be an ass.

Now what Souly shoul be maknig you do here, is think about the spine shrinking in the animation. Do you really think this is convincing breathing? Is there reason behind it at all if you state it in a sentence using 'i guess' at the end? It could be logical to simulate bending, but he's in no position to bend there regarding the arms staying where they are. This is too static and unnatural, and therefore very ynoticable. Whatever you try to simulate with it, redo it, and do it properly.

Every limb movement of your body affects them all. You can't have a walk cycle without shoulder movement, why do you think it's almost impossible to decently aim a gun while walking? You could try rotoscoping some stuff and learn from it by analyzing all the events and their reactions every frame.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio
Alright well I don't want to be constructive.
But I thought I'd let you know that elbows bend.

MINE - YOURS

Animation takes patience Mike, especially when your posting it on a forum for people to point out obvious flaws.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:12:55 pm by Souly »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Number 1 rule of all forums: Don't be an ass.

Actually, here's a strike. One more and you're gone. Reconsider your usage of the forum.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
Alright well I don't want to be constructive.
But I thought I'd let you know that elbows bend.

MINE - YOURS

Animation takes patience Mike, especially when your posting it on a forum for people to point out obvious flaws.

While I do like your edit I have to say "Do you think I'm limbless"  I tested out this animation myself in front of a mirror.  I did not have to bend my elbows to take the bat to the ground.  I just moved my wrists.  Also I'm not quite sure what he is doing before he pats the bat down. 

Forget it...whatever I say is just going to backfire on me.

He had, I also thought he was acting assy until I looked closely at the sprite and realized that hey, this kind of drag-and drop animation actually makes it look like his spine IS shrinking at certain intervals.

If you want to simulate a up/down motion with breathing, make his chest expand very subtly and his spine bend to cause his head to move up and down, not shrink and expand.

Please try to take all critique to heart and if you do not see the constructiveness of a reply you get, please ask for an explanation instead of questioning the character of the one posting the critique, okay? (:

Can I get an edit of what this would look like?  How can I bend his spine without bringing his chest down 1 pixel? ???