AuthorTopic: Moonlit scene  (Read 12324 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Moonlit scene

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:52:32 pm
Old palette preferred, too. Though, I like the duotone effect in the latest. I'd just like to see it done more subtley. I like the new hints of cloud texture.

Not sure what was up with the asteroid in the old blue version, but the latest's focal point subject matter is better. It's funny, this scene mood and presentation reminded me of the opening story screen images seen in the intro to Zelda: A Link to the Past, on super NES, than I realized that triangle thing is almost the TRIFORCE. So, make it the triforce. Why the heck not. Make it levitate, too.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:53 pm
If you ask me, the object in the middle should clearly be a dolmen, because this moonlit forest clearing/path has such a strong Celtic feel to it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:47:10 pm
Hehe, not a bad suggestion. That may evoke Stonehenge. I didn't know about dolmens 'till now, thanks for the info. I've always seen them, I just didn't know their significance.

Whatever is chosen, it needs to be really simple in form. And I think it works well to imply the object has some sort of power. The scene is very mysterious and ethereal, so this makes sense.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:05 am
thanks for the comments.
I prefer the new colours, but I will try swaping palettes when its done once more. About the object: I dont think a tower would work, since the placing would be extremly random there. Maybe I will try a human once more and post my efforts here.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:12 pm

So, no dolmen here, but except for the crappy rushed shadow, does this look better than the triangle?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 02:54:39 pm
Except shadow, it's well done, but no, I don't think a typcial human figure does much for this scene. I was enjoying the mystery of an odd unknown object in the limelight. This is just some dude. Yeah, he has glowing eyes, but that's doesn't seem to count for much. Feels out of place. If you're bent on putting a figure of some sort there, make it the monstrous tree grove ogre you must get past to advance or something like that, with a little story to it.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 03:13:25 pm
I agree, the man seems out of place. I actually liked the contrast between the angular triangle thingy and the organic trees/sky.

Also, like Mathias said, the triangle had some mystery to it - 'What is it? Why is it there?' But the human on the other hand just seems quite bland - 'Oh it's just some guy standing in a forest clearing.'

And just another possible colour alternative:

Offline Hugo

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:41 pm
skamocore's edit is beautiful, but pink make this more marvellous than mysterious.

maybe a perfect alignment of the moon with the pyramid would add mystic innuendo.
alignment of planets announce a mysterious and symbolic event.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 07:54:45 pm
The pink is lacking. No hue shift makes it look cheaply monotone. Hugo, are you suggesting an eclipse instead of full moon? Hmmm, what a great idea, that would further the ethereal mystery element thing going on here.

Offline Hugo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 11:32:17 am
Eclypse ? it's a good idea Mathias.  :y:

I rather think alignment of terrestral element (the pyramid) with astral element (the moon) would annouce a mystic evenment.
like alignment of stars or planets with archictectures (Stonehege and mayan temples). at Solstice happen a mysterious evenment.
This pyramid, here, sounds like monolith of Space Odyssey.
in this movie and The Fifth Element ( Luc Besson) there is alignment of planets with "terrestral element" which imply that something happen on a spiritual level.

Sorry for my very bad english...